1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Clear CMOS on onlder Compaq

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by minimustangs, Jan 23, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. minimustangs

minimustangs Thread Starter

Well happy new year folks...

I'm just in the process of retiring the old Compaq DESKPRO EN, and I messed up a bit. The additional video card that was in this PC (GeForce AGP) was the primary video device...which now is running on the replacement system. Before removing it I failed to set the BOIS to use the onboard video and now the machine wont boot...it expects the AGP card there... and of course complains that it's not. I've tried to reset the CMOS to no avail. Maybe I haven't got the right order of things to do that, since it doesn't seem to be clearing. Battery out, power disconnected...just doesn't seem to want to clear.

Would someone mind refreshing me on the correct way to clear the CMOS on an old DESKPRO EN (PIII, 900Mhz CPU). I hate to think that I have to rip the new computer out and apart after all that fancy cable management...just to reset the BIOS.

Thanks

S~

2. prunejuice

prunejuice

...and you jumpered the correct pins and then replaced the CMOS jumper back in it's original position, right?

3. dustyjay

dustyjay

First Name:
    Jay
    Try inserting the AGP Video card again log enough to reset the bios to use the onboard video.

4. minimustangs

There's the rub... there doesn't appear to be clean CMOS jumper. There is a button on the board that I've come to the conclusion is a CMOS clean jumper...since it's labelled CMOS... with a couple lightning bolts around it. I've been to the HP/Compaq website too, but there isn't even a model number that I can make heads or tails of (one of the covers is missing...presumably the one with the model number on it).

So, yeah... I thought I covered all that.

S~

5. minimustangs

OK....got it... I had to pull a stick of RAM out to force configuration change and kick me into BIOS. Thanks

S~

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/976476

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice