1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

[Solved] clear up boot.ini

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by bdtodd50, Sep 6, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. bdtodd50

bdtodd50 Thread Starter

I would like to learn what each section of the boot.ini actually means. I have STFW with no luck, (probably just looking in the wrong places).

[boot loader]
    timeout=15
    default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS
    [operating systems]
    multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /fastdetect

I know what the time out is, I have a SATA as C:\ so One of the things i'm wondering is why does the lower line start with multi instead of SCSI?

thanks for the info

2. DaveBurnett

DaveBurnett Account Closed

Multi is any hard IDE/SATA attached device and I think even a SCSI disk would still be multi.
    mutli = any disk (0) is always 0, and is set/unchangable
    disk = relative hardware disk starting from 0 as first device on the first controller. So for example the slave on the second channel would be 3
    Partition is self explanatory
    Windows is documentory
    /fastdetect is a switch that is passed to windows on startup and tells it that usually you have the same hardware that you had when it was installed- so don't bother interrogating each device in detail.

3. Dan O

Dan O

4. bdtodd50

bdtodd50 Thread Starter

Thank you gentlemen, this answered my questions.

5. Dan O

Dan O

You're welcome. I will mark your thread solved.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/270668

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice