1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Click turn off to install important updates

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by bkdc, Jul 10, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bkdc

bkdc Thread Starter

I'm looking for some help on this one.
    I just installed SP3 on my HP and everything appeared to go well. Then as directed I installed the additional security updates. However, everytime I click the "Turn Off Computer" button it will display the message to Click turn off to install important updates...... I have done this several times & the message keeps appearing.

I've restored to the point following the SP3 install, no luck.
    I have also removed an SQL update (KB948109) which I thought may be the problem, still no luck.

I can't seem to get rid of the message..... Any suggestions would be appreciated.

2. bkdc

bkdc Thread Starter

Bump

3. bkdc

bkdc Thread Starter

To those 39 or so users that took the time to read my post, Thanks.:)
    I guess that this was just one of those puzzling unique problems.

For future reference I am posting the solution which I received from another support forum. (No offense intended it is just that I can not take credit for the solution).

Turn Automatic Updates service back on and then restart your PC and head to Windows Update to install the updates that need installing again.

This process gets rid of any hotfixes that are awaiting installation and allows you to start afresh.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/729305

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice