1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Clicking "send us an email" hangs system and will not open my email client.

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by MiVetters, Apr 10, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. MiVetters

MiVetters Thread Starter

My Email client, MSN Premium (not Hotmail) will not open to write an email when clicking on any website's button labeled "send us an email". Instead this action causes several instances (up to 5) of IE6 to invoke and then the Op Sys (WinME) hangs until I use Ctrl-Alt-Del to end the erroneously opened IE tasks. I thought maybe it was that MSN mail was not my default email client so I used the proceedure to make MSN mail my default instead of OE6 but each time I returned to the options to see if it had changed it still says my default client is OE. Interestingly, if I envoke the MSN explorer and go to my MSN email inbox I can send and receive my email perfectly. This machine has been up and running since last October. I do not know if the problem has always existed or started more recently since I don't often click on "send us email" buttons.
    I have three other machines similarly set up and none of them exhibit this problem.
    WinMe, MSN Premium, and MSN messenger 6 all are up to date and current.
    McAfee AV is on and up to date.
    CounterSpy and Spybot are up to date and actively running.
    Firefox 1.0.2 is my default browser

2. EAFiedler

EAFiedler Moderator

Hi MiVetters

Let's start from scratch and reverify Outlook Express as your default email client, after that we'll have you select MSN as your email client.

With all windows closed.
    Start > Run
    Key in:
    "C:\program files\outlook express\msimn.exe" /reg

Verify this is the path that msimn.exe is located and be sure to include the quotes.

This is a quiet command, once you click OK, you will not see any messages of whether it worked or not. :rolleyes:

Then open Outlook Express,
    Tools > Options > General tab,
    and verify Outlook Express is your default messaging program at the bottom of the page.
    Close Outlook Express.

Start > Settings > Control Panel > Internet Options > Programs tab
    Remove if there, the checkmark for: Internet Explorer should check to see whether it is the default browser.

Also verify Outlook Express is the program showing in the E-Mail: window.
    Apply, OK to close and save.

Test the email links, are they still opening Internet Explorer? It should now open a new message using Outlook Express.
    *If the email link opens the new message, change the setting to MSN Mail.

Start > Settings > Control Panel > Internet Options > Programs tab
    Change the program showing in the E-Mail: window to MSN Mail.
    Apply, OK to close and save

Let us know what happens.

3. MiVetters

MiVetters Thread Starter

Thank you for your time.
    1st step-Ran msimn.exe /reg with quotes, it was silent.
    2nd step-Opened Outlook Express and found it was not currently showing as default so I clicked "make default".
    3rd step-Looked at internet options found IE was not the default
    browser. Firefox is. Yes OE shows in the E-Mail window here.
    4th-Tested some email links, no, IE does not try to open, New Message for OE opens as it should.
    5th-Went back to Internet options to change mail program to MSN mail. Here's a problem, clicking on the arrow shows no options other than Outlook Express to select. I remember being here before.

This is where I previously would open MSN explorer, go to my inbox and select email options. I am doing this now so I can tell you what I would do and the effects of it. The settings have a link which says "Use MSN Mail to send and receive all mail" - make it your default email program. clicking the link brings up a new window saying MSN Mail is now your default email program. OK. SAVE.

Returning to Start, settings, internet options, program tab shows a blank window for email and clicking the arrow shows Outlook Express as selectable. I do not select it and the window stays blank.

Now I retest the email link in Foxfire. A message window pops up saying "MS IE could not perform the operation because the default mail client is not properly installed". clicked OK. IE opens to a blank page and the system is frozen. I use CTRL-ALT-DEL to open the close program window.

It shows from the top down: 6 instances of IE, 6 instances of mail to: ... MS IE, 2 more instances of IE, and 1 instance of Foxfire plus the regular stuff. I select the top instance of IE and click End Task. After about 10 seconds the window closes, I reopen it and all instances of IE and mail to: are gone.

The error message is now obvious, but is MSN really not properly installed when everything but these email links works?

4. EAFiedler

EAFiedler Moderator

Sorry, I do not use MSN, so I am unsure of what MSN Mail truly is, is it Hotmail?
    If so, have you tried setting up your MSN account in Outlook Express?

Did you try selecting Outlook Express again after making MSN your default email client?

If you check your File types for:
    URL:MailTo Protocol
    what program is it associated with?

You might also compare your File types with this machine to your other machines to see what may be different.
    What type of messaging interface do the other machines bring up when clicking on mailto: links?

5. MiVetters

MiVetters Thread Starter

Thank you,
    As I said in my first posting MSN mail is not Hotmail although you could read your MSN mail at hotmail.com but you can not download it to your computer from there. You can only download MSN mail when using the MSN mail client and then it does give any indication show that you are at hotmail.com which as you know is web based. Microsoft shut of the ability for outlook express to read and download MSN mail over a year ago.
    Your second sentence ... yes and it goes back to opening outlook express when clicking on mailto: links Internet Options was never able to make MSN default, only using a setting within MSN explorer appeared to make the change but mailto: links still didn't go to MNS mail.

The URL:Mailto Protocol says Outlook express is used.

I have not yet tried comparing the other machines file types to this one but I will.

The other machines all have MSN mail installed and working as they should as default.

6. MiVetters

MiVetters Thread Starter

I forgot to attach this screenshot of MSN mail

Attached Files:

7. EAFiedler

EAFiedler Moderator

Hi MiVetters were you able to get this sorted?

Another area you can compare with the other machines:
    OLEXP: "Send To" and E-mail Links Do Not Work Using Outlook Express as Default

While I do not use MSN Explorer, I do have that listed in my Registry when checking this key:
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Clients\Mail
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Clients\Mail\MSN Explorer
    Default which has a value of: MSN Explorer
    LocalizedString which has a value of: @C:\Program Files\MSN\MSNCoreFiles\MSNMTLLC.DLL,-3501

MSN Explorer also appears in the E-mail: window in Internet Options > Program tab on my machine.

Be sure to Export this key as a backup before making any changes.

8. MiVetters

MiVetters Thread Starter

EAFiedler, thank you your continued interest. No, I haven't. In fact it just got harder to repair. Over last weekend I was having some stability problems and I used Nor-tons GoBack (similiar to MS system restore) to return to a time when things were more stable. I did it several times to get there, however after looking at the log I see Microsoft was pushing an unannounced unrequested download of MSN program files to me. I think their forced install did not go well during the system restore, with some but not all or enough of these files installed. Now I can no longer even sign in to MSN on this machine because it will not accept my password or sign in name, it will not say which. I tried to uninstall MSN and MSN messenger but it kept reporting several registry keys were locked and it could not open them so it was rolling back the uninstall. I don't know how to unlock them or if I need to maybe they're just not there. I'm willing to remove MSN all together and start over, but I can not make it happen using uninstall. I have user Karen's Reg Ripper to search for "MSN" in the registry it came up with 335 hits. I exported them all and will continue to compare and report back to you.

9. EAFiedler

EAFiedler Moderator

If you know which keys are locked in the Registry, Select the Key and click: Edit > Permissions and reset the Permissions to Full Control.
    You will probably need to be using an Administrative User Account to do this.

Check this File type on your other machines to see what application it is associated with:
    URL:MailTo Protocol

Well maybe I am over thinking this :rolleyes:

I also have this entry for the "open command"
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Clients\Mail\MSN Explorer\shell\open\command
    Default with a value of "C:\Program Files\MSN\MSNCoreFiles\MSN6.EXE" -email

In this link, try pasting the urls in your browser, mine opens to my Hotmail account with MSN logo on it.
    mailto: link does not work with Hotmail as the default mail client ?
    Would the Hotmail link open your browser to your MSN Mail page?
    I was thinking you could drop the Hotmail part and retain the msn part or insert that part of the url that corresponds to your MSN Mail page.

Is the executable for MSN: msn.exe or msn6.exe like mine above?

You could try registering that file to see if it restores MSN as an option in the E-mail: window for Internet Options.

For example:

msn.exe /reg
    or
    msn6.exe /reg
    then
    regsvr32 "C:\Program Files\MSN\MSNCoreFiles\MSNMTLLC.DLL,-3501"

Of course you would want to verify these files since my version may be older and may have different file names.

I keep forgetting you are using Firefox as your browser and MSN as your email and not as the browser :eek: :D

This may be of interest:
    How to Register an Internet Browser or E-mail Client With the Windows XP Start Menu

I am certainly interested in any results you receive!

10. EAFiedler

EAFiedler Moderator

11. MiVetters

MiVetters Thread Starter

resolved by updating to Win 2000 Pro

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/351601

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice