Solved: Client unable to connect to remote desktop

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

momofone

I have successfully set up the VPN connection to access remotely from the job. However, when I tried to connect remotely, I received the error messages
Client could not connect to the remote computer
Remote connections might be enabled or the computer might be too busy, etc.
I have Comcast (McAfee Security) as ISP with a belkin router that my daughter and I share. (She has a desktop) My operating system is Windows XP. Why can't I connect remotely? I even turned off Windows firewall and received the same error messages.
Note: I was able set up remote desktop (from my job) on my sister's desktop and can connect, she also has Comcast as ISP and is using a wireless router.

I tried checking with our administrator he couldn't figure out why. I hope someone can help! I'd like to be able to work from home!!

JohnWill

Retired Moderator
First, please don't shrink the text so it's difficult to read, us old timers need larger fonts. ;)

Did you try connecting directly to the modem with that computer as a test to see if it's the router that's the issue here?

momofone

No I didn't try that. To be honest it took a lot for me to figure out how to get the 2 desktops to connect to the wireless router that I'm afraid to undo it. Is there something else I could try? If not, what's the easiest way to disconnect the router from the cable modem?

I tried to disconnected the ethernet cord from the router and plugged that ethernet into the cable modem but I lost my internet connection. :(

TerryNet

Terry
When you switch the device connected to the modem you have to power cycle (unplug for 30 seconds) the modem.

momofone

I did power cycle but I still did not get the internet. Because I have 2 desktops connected is that why I'm not able to connect remotely? The went thru the steps to set up the VPN on my desktop without any problems. When I try to access the remote connection after connecting to the VPN, there is only the input area for the computer address; the space after that shows
connect cancel help options :confused:

momofone

I had a light bulb moment! I unplugged the modem and then reset it. I now have remote access:) Thanks! This site is the best;)

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts