1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

(Solved) Clock runs fast?

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by nightchild, Feb 13, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. nightchild

nightchild Thread Starter

I am on a Compaq Presario 7360w/ a AMDk6 500mhz, Win98se, 184ram, NVidia GeForce2 MX/MX400. For some readon my clock runs fast. I reset it and within a week its 10-13 minutes fast. I use my pc as an alarm clock and tho being early is a good thing in itself, I would rather have the clock run accurately. Seems kinda scary that the pc can't even get a clock right...unless I did this somehow. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

2. Davey7549

Davey7549

Nightchild
    Welcome to TSG!
    A little explaination of Clock function may help shed some light on where the problem lies.

When you originally set the Clock at Installation of OS you set the Clock on the Motherboard that is maintained by the CMOS battery. This Clock runs 24\7 and will eventually start displaying a loss of time when battery is running low on power. When Windows boots to desktop if captures the CMOS Clock time and Windows now displays and controls the time you see. If your Clock is displaying time loss or gain while Windows is running then a running software program is affecting the Clock. To my knowledge when Windows shuts down it does not write its controlled time to CMOS.

Now Clocks on the MotherBoard are Historically inaccurate as is Windows. Most watches will hold time to a minute per year where Computers will not.

To find out where your inaccuracy lies you need to determine if it is Windows or the Motherboard. Chances are it is Windows and you are leaving your computer run 24\7. The simplist fix for this is to find a download for a program that checks time periodically at specified control sites and have it automatically update your time.

Here is one such program.

Clock Program

If your Computer is left on 24\7 then the only other way would be to disable programs until you find the offender. If it is the Motherboard CMOS then there is virtually nothing you can do to my knowledge.

Dave

3. $teve

$teve

there is also a joke program named "time traveller" that alters your clock at random.......after about a month a little window pops up and tells you someone played a joke on you......its nothing serious but its annoying.

4. nightchild

nightchild Thread Starter

Thank you Davey and Steve! I am downloading that software that you recommended and my understanding of the clock system is much better. I don't know if it is the motherboard or win98, regardless, I will stop being so early thanks to you guys!

5. Davey7549

Davey7549

nightchild
    Glad all is well.

Take care.... an extra few minutes sleep is better than the snooze button!:D ;)

Dave

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/118565

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice