1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Clock won't stay set.

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by toll_booth, Apr 28, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. toll_booth

toll_booth Thread Starter

Hello, I'm having an ongoing issue with Vista. I can set the clock with no trouble, but for some reason, it eventually goes right back to the original time. So I have to deal with my PC's clock staying about 5 minutes fast. Please advise.

2. Fluffmatic

Fluffmatic

Sounds like its synchronising with a time server which is out. Are you sure its your PC which is fast and not your watch which is slow?

It may be that your network has a built in time server somewhere which is set incorrectly. I think in the time properties there is an option which can be deselected to sync with internet time.

3. toll_booth

I just checked that. It's not synched to any internet server.

4. Elvandil

Elvandil

Right-click the taskbar, choose Adjust Date and Time.

Choose the Internet Time tab, Change Settings button.

Choose your server and click Update Now to set the clock.

Check your BIOS clock on the next boot. There are 4 clocks in Windows that are usually synchronized.

XP and Vista are automatically synched to servers and to other machines on the network through the Time service. Otherwise, file transfers and similar processes could not occur correctly.

5. toll_booth

I could have sworn that the Adjust Date & Time window had an Internet tab, but now it is gone! :( How do I get it back?

6. Elvandil

Elvandil

Is your Time service running?

7. toll_booth

8. guy2

guy2

im having the same problem ,iv been trying to follow the directions in this thread to but im not having any luck. Im also running vista There's like 4 or 5 different severs to choose from ,on my first try ,i choose it ,another sever so that it has to update but it wont update no matter how many severs i pick ,i went threw all of them.

9. toll_booth

OK I think I have this figured out. The Internet tab comes back up, now that I'm connected to the web. So I went and synched my clock with an online clock, and now the time's much more accurate.

I'm going to give this about a day -- the time was resetting itself within about an hour or so -- and if it's still accurate, I'm going to call this mission complete. :)

10. toll_booth

Alright, this seemed to have done it. I still can't figure out how to set the clock manually and keep it set there, but oh well, the time is accurate now.

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/822597