Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Solved: Clone or Image for Windows 7 with 2 TB PC

1K views 16 replies 6 participants last post by  rainforest123 
#1 ·
Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.2
OS Version: Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate, Service Pack 1, 64 bit
Processor: AMD Athlon(tm) II X4 620 Processor, AMD64 Family 16 Model 5 Stepping 2
Processor Count: 4
RAM: 16126 Mb
Graphics Card: ATI Radeon HD 4200, 368 Mb
Hard Drives: C: Total - 953866 MB, Free - 854043 MB; D: Total - 953765 MB, Free - 953619 MB;
Motherboard: ASUSTeK Computer INC., M4A785TD-M EVO
Antivirus: Trend Micro Client/Server Security Agent Antivirus, Updated and Enabled

My machine is making a weird sound and I want to be prepared for the worst before I let a technician touch it.

I'm running Windows 7 on my PC and am backing up files to a Microsoft Home Server but want a complete "copy" of my PC system (programs, files, settings, etc.).

My head is starting to spin with everthing I've read and heard about cloning and imaging not to mention all the software choices (cloud or external hard drive) and if external hard drive is the way to go, which one.

Can anyone here offer some straight forward, not tech talk, advice? I'm fairly competent with software, devices, etc. but sure could use some input from others that know about this topic before I proceed.

Thank you!

See less See more
#2 ·
It sounds like you want to make an image of the partition(s) that would be needed to "restore" your hard drive (or a new one) to exactly the system you are now running.

Best to save the image on an external hard drive, although in a pinch a set of DVDs could be used. I'm sure some people favor one brand of hard drive or have an "un-favorite" but I haven't really seen it discussed. I have an Iomega, for no particular reason except it was on sale when I got interested.

Windows 7 has a built in capability (which I will not bother with). Many people here use Acronis. I use the Macrium Reflect Free

#10 ·
Acronis True Image.

An online backup will not allow you to clone your HDD. A clone [ or an image, my bias is towards a clone ] is what you will need if you want your programs backed up. It could be that I do not understand that which you want. Do you want the installation program FOR EXAMPLE, of Microsoft Security Essentials, or do you want MSE, as it appears on your computer? If you want the latter, you will need a clone or anb image.

BACKUP IS VERY IMPORTANT!! :)

You are welcome.

RF123

#11 ·
A clone will only restore to the same size of drive, while a image will restore to any size as or larger than the original.

If the new drive is large than than the original, then the restore will only be the size of it, BUT on can then using a partitioning program recover the remainder of the drive.

#13 ·
Actually, DaveA & [ Debra ], I use Acronis True Image 11 to clone from a SATA 80 GB HDD to a SATA 120 GB HDD, and from a 120 GB HDD to a SATA 80 GB HDD. I have < 60 GB of data. Certainly 120 GB of data will not transfer to an 80 GB HDD.

edit:
I've also successfully cloned from a 1 TB HDD to a 250 GB HDD, with < 100 GB of data.

RF123

#14 ·
From http://kb.acronis.com/content/17540

Using Acronis True Image Home 2011 you can clone basic MBR disks.

(!) Acronis True Image Home 2011 does not allow to clone a single partition, only cloning of an entire disk is possible.

Source disk volumes can be cloned to the target disk "as is" or resized proportionally.

It is recommended not to format the source hard disk after the cloning until you are sure that the cloned target disk boots fine.

It is possible to clone a larger disk to a smaller one, provided that the smaller hard disk has enough capacity to fit the contents of the larger disk.

(!) Only basic disks can be cloned with Acronis True Image Home 2011.

#16 ·
Here's what I did. I bought a SeaGate 2T external hard drive ($105, I had a $25 off coupon) and downloaded a free 30 day trail version of Acronis True Image 2013 ($30 to purchase after the trail period ends, which I will buy it). Made a "partition/disk" backup on the external hard drive and a "bootable" CD. Looks like programs, settings, files, etc. are contained in the backup. Had an online chat with Acronis tech support and they agree I have what I need in case my PC crashes. I'm comfortable with that. I will also schedule weekly backups onto the external hard drive. I'm backing up files daily to a server. Thank you everyone for all your advice and suggestions. It really helped.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.