1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: clonezillard hdd won't boot

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by oldgadget, Apr 21, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. oldgadget

oldgadget Thread Starter

Greetings all,
    I'm having trouble cloning a drive and then booting it.
    Also w7 disc management tool shows a RAW drive (having removed it from the laptop)
    if I use w98 floppy and fdisk it shows the relevant partitions and their correct size and attributes.

Dell Inspiron, vista home premium, 4gbram, 320gb hdd, celeron dualcore cpu 1.6 GHz?

Original hdd failing, so bought a new one, put new one in laptop, failing one on usb converter, ran clonezilla (first time for everything), it appeared to do it's job, I shut down, removed usb drive and c/zilla cd, booted and was met by "bootmgr not found etc.
    Sorry if this is a bit garbled but I am full of asst'd cold remedies(not the best way to do this), I really do need some help with this please.
    I take point from a previous post that you are not all hovering 24/7
    Thanks Richard

2. managed

managed Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Allan
    I think you have to swap the disks over and make a new clone. The original hard drive should be in the laptop and the new hard drive connected externally.

See here for a step by step tutorial :- http://clonezilla.org/show-live-doc-content.php?topic=clonezilla-live/doc/03_Disk_to_disk_clone

I know at first glance it seems like it should work either way around but it will not.

EDIT : after the cloning is finished don't boot the laptop up again until the only hard drive connected to the laptop is the new clone HD internally.

3. oldgadget

oldgadget Thread Starter

good morning Managed, Thanks for the reply (you're obviously a night owl(and wise)) I'll have a go at doing it your way, and let you know what happens.

4. Frost_WD

Frost_WD Western Digital Representative

Hi Richard,

Well, to begin with if you do not have software that cannot be reinstalled I would suggest doing a fresh install – it is the most problem free way to go about it. Furthermore, with a clone you would be transferring all unneeded data, errors and malware(if there is any).
    If you have your mind set on doing a clone you can give it another try, maybe even use a different cloning software solution and see if you get the same result. @managed gave you some good advice on that part :)

Keep us posted,
    Frost_WD

5. oldgadget

oldgadget Thread Starter

Frost_WD, Thanks for advice, but the drive has the restore partition for vista home premium, which is the only MS product that I don't own, so cloning appears to be the only option available. Unless I can use the data from the recovery partition, but I wouldn't know how to go about it.

Incidentally Manageds suggestion produced a partition too small error, which to me is illogical 'cos both drives are the same size (320Gb).

I'll format new drive as fat32 and have another go.

This will be my 5th attempt, I am getting close to follicle pulling!

Richard

6. Frost_WD

Hi Richard,

I'm sorry for your trouble :( what comes to mind as an idea would be to use a system restore image on the new drive and transfer the OS that way. You would still have to re-install any other software and manually transfer media files, but it might be worth a try after five attempts to clone. You can simply create a system restore image on the new drive and use system restore afterwards to restore the system.

Keep me posted,
    Frost_WD

7. oldgadget

oldgadget Thread Starter

Hi Frost_WD,
    I love it when people say "simply do this", I'm afraid I need the i's dotted and the t's crossed and of course words of one syllable or less. If you can oblige I would be very grateful.
    Incidentally I am using WD drives.

Thanks Richard

8. mtzlplex

mtzlplex Account Closed

9. oldgadget

oldgadget Thread Starter

mtzlplex, I did look at it, but it appears that it needs to run in windows, and to do that I would need two sata adapters, I only have one. I am having to clone from the faulty laptop that I am trying to repair and clonezilla seems to be, after much reading on the subject, the onl real solution for me.

Richard

10. managed

First Name:
    Allan
    With the original drive in the laptop can you still get into Vista ?

If not please include the laptop's service tag (from a label underneath) in your next reply.

It might be possible to use the restore partition but that would remove all the stuff you've added since it was new.

Why do you think the original HD is failing ?

11. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    The initial installer requires Windows, but once installed you can make a bootable CD/DVD and clone the drive. See section 6.1 of the user manual.

12. oldgadget

oldgadget Thread Starter

Managed, ***=answers to your questions

Thanks for reply, brief history of events. (I can fill this out if required)

laptop came to me to sort out slow/erratic booting and lousy performance.
    it took 2 attempts to boot 1st time I tried,

on reaching desktop noticed NO anti-virus.

ran spy-bot found 125 anomalies fixed and ran again found 22 more fixed, shutdown, boot, still slow.

downloaded Ms security essentials updated, ran full scan, 38 found, fixed, ran again 0.

still running badly, copied all the music and pictures that owner deemed vital.

uninstalled superfluous programmes, with restart between each.

edited severely start up progs.

still running like wading thro' cold treacle, so decided on factory restore, appeared to go well,but refused to
    reboot, "bootmgr missing".

not having a vista disc, I figured an install of win7 (being similar) would sort out the problem.

***win7 stopped install "can't install drive about to fail"

at this point I shut laptop informed owner and waited for ££ for new hard drive.

in the interim I read and downloaded clonezilla, read some more, watched videos etc.,

new hdd same size and from there it has gone from bad to worse, at which point I cried for help.

***Service Tag CYXCXJ1 Dell Inspiron celeron dual core 1.8GHz.

***No can't boot "bootmgr missing"

p.s. do like your discworld tag, a brilliant series

13. Frost_WD

14. oldgadget

oldgadget Thread Starter

Hello folks,

Well I've tried Frost_WDs acronis, I know that the OEM and RECOVERY partition and files are on the drive, I also know that the OS partition is lightly populated with garbage. There is NO Bootmgr.

If I leave the new drive in the laptop and boot using a usb floppy and Fdisk I can see, NO drive letter/s, can see the partitions and % used, which tally with the original hdd. If I then put the new hdd in via an adapter into my w7 lappy the drive is shown as RAW. This I presume is because the mbr and partition table are corrupt/missing.

What the heck do I do now. I really can't afford to buy a vista disc, I need one of you geniuses to come good and cure my trauma.

Richard

15. managed

First Name:
    Allan
    Ok, see if this works :-

Put the new clone hard drive into the 1545

Boot with the 7 DVD
    Change Time and currency format to English UK if you have a UK keyboard. click Next
    Click on Repair your computer
    Hopefully it will find a Vista or 7

If it does find an OS click Next and select Startup Repair.
    Let it complete, it may reboot, if it does don't press a key to start from CD...
    When it's finished it just might boot into Windows

If it fails you can try the same thing with the original drive but if OS files really are missing from it this won't help.

EDIT : if you see a DELL option to restore the OS on the same screen with Startup repair at the top you can try that, it might restore Vista.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!