1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Cloning 2 PC's - Hardware Issues?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by GoJoAGoGo, Feb 3, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. GoJoAGoGo

GoJoAGoGo Thread Starter

First Name:
    Joe
    I was thinking about using an Acronis backup image of my Windows XP system to clone onto an older Dell PC running Windows ME. My question concerns the hardware drivers on the Windows XP backup image which are different than the hardware the Dell. Once the Windows XP Acronis backup image installs on the Dell, will the hardware on the Dell be recognized or will there be conflicts? Also will there be any BIOS conflicts?

Thanks ...

2. telegramsam

telegramsam

Yeah, you would have to do a repair install to make that work. Branded systems don't allow you to do that. You need a genuine XP disc to do it.

Additionally, it's a violation of the EULA to move the operating system to another box.

3. GoJoAGoGo

GoJoAGoGo Thread Starter

First Name:
    Joe
    Thanks for replying, so this wouldn't be a legal move then. I didn't think it was illegal since both PC's are mine.

4. telegramsam

telegramsam

Unfortunately, OEM Windows is that way. Retail versions can be moved to a different machine, but not the OEM's.

5. dustyjay

dustyjay

First Name:
    Jay
    Actually, the way it works is One computer one copy of windows. You may use the same Retail Copy of Windows on a second PC but it must be uninstalled from any other computer before you install it on another computer. It doesnt matter that you own both computers. OEM Versions of Windows are tied to the system that they were originally installed on the first time. If you change the Motherboard on that system legally the OEM copy of Windows must expire with the old motherboard.

There are also Multiple License Copies of Windows but you have to pay for each license to install it on more than one PC at a time.

6. GoJoAGoGo

GoJoAGoGo Thread Starter

First Name:
    Joe
    OK, thanks for the replys. I'll mark this thread as "solved" ...

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/540945

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice