1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Cloning HD in Windows 7

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by Valacapt, Sep 11, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Valacapt

Valacapt Thread Starter

I am running W7/64 in a Dell Inspiron. I discovered that Windows Backup did not give me back my folders when I needed them and I don't want to use it again. In all previous OSs I have used Apricorn/Acronis which backed up from BIOS and produced an external HD copy which would boot automatically and restore the complete disk, or one could select folders and files to move back. Simple and elegant.

i searched for "clone" information in "Windows 7" and got information mostly for other XP, Vista, etc. But I did see that the free XXCLONE was mentioned and I would like to hear from anyone who has used XXClone in Windows 7 to report on its value, problems, etc. -- Thank you.

2. Megabite

Megabite

Sorry if you are backing up important data then a few bucks are worth it...at least to me...I use Acronis TrueImage...it has always worked for me.

3. Megabite

Megabite

Have they made XXClone for Windows 7 ..it used to be for XP...but not vista..atleast the free version wasn't

4. Hughv

Hughv

See Backup and restore in Control Panel to create an image.

5. lapwlover

lapwlover

Trust backup software on the market, such as todo backup ,nova, macruim .They are more versatility software than windows 7. Schedule backup set, incremental backup, differential backup. Personally, I use todo backup free in my windows 7.
    Differential/Incremental backup and automatic backup
    Save PC to a safe place - FTP, CD/DVD, Network
    Restore system to dissimilar hardware
    Explore backup contents & selective restore
    it is terrific!

6. Valacapt

Valacapt Thread Starter

I am a bit familiar with Acronis because I used Apricorn EZ-GIG where one could select an image or clone backup. The image one was software dependent - it took up less space but had to be restored with EZ-GIG. The clone was a bit-by-bit copy of the HD so that one could get a file or folder or using some other product, such as Ghost, could restore all the files.

I may be wrong about the word "image" - and may be confusing it for "matrix". But the bottom line is that I want what I, and they, called a clone. So my question is: Can you go onto your back up HD and see the folders and files there and available?

Thank you - Once I have that reassurance I definitely will buy Acronis. Those pictures that caused all the problem seem to be lost forever, from a backup made 5 days before they were lost from the computer.

7. Valacapt

Valacapt Thread Starter

It looked as though their web site said it worked for W7
    http://www.xxclone.com/

8. Valacapt

Valacapt Thread Starter

I went to the site and it appeared to me that this software doesn't make the kind of bit-by-bit clone that I am talking about. My old Apricorn/acronis would ask a couple of questions, such as was it OK to erase partitions on the back up HD, and when the source disk was smaller than the Ext HD, whether "proportional" or "as is" writing to HD was wanted.

Then it shut down Windows and re-booted as far as BIOS and ran the back up from there. The computer was useless during the process, but the result was an identical copy which, all by itself, could re-boot and then, using the same software from the backup HD, could restore the HD using the same protocol with the back up as the source and the computer's HD as the destination.

That is all I want - not scheduled backup or backup while one does something else - none of that stuff.

9. Megabite

Megabite

Not sure what you think but Acronis you can explore the backup and access all backed up files

10. techmaster85

techmaster85

I use Macrium Free edition on my Win 7 32bit machine to back up my complete HDD as an image so I can easily reimage it to a fresh HDD if I have to do so.

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1017139