Solved: Cloning HD

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

I am confused here and need some guidance. I want to know if I can clone the HD on this old computer saving it to an external drive and say I bought another new computer could I just put the clone from the external HD on to the new computeR HD? Also what free clone software would be easy to use?

I want to know if I can clone the HD on this old computer saving it to an external drive and say I bought another new computer could I just put the clone from the external HD on to the new computeR HD?
No. Windows is hardware specific and is coded to the old system and can not be transferred. You can although clone to the external, connect to the new system and copy all you needed data to that system.

Free drive backup software

Paragon Backup & Recovery 2012 (Recovery boot CD or USB key)
Macrium Reflect (Free)
O&O Disk Image Express or (mirror)
Easeus Todo Backup
Acronis True Image For WD (reduced, free version for WD drives - cloning and imaging)
Acronis True Image For Seagate (DiscWizard) (reduced, free version for Seagate drives - cloning and imaging)
ODIN (open-source)
Redo Backup & Recovery (Boot CD)
Clonezilla Live (A bootable CD of Debian with Clonezilla.)
Drive Image XML
PING (Partimage is not Ghost) (Boot CD with option Clam Antivirus)
Partition Saving
Clonezilla
Passmark OSFClone (Bootable, cloning only)
ImageX and GImageX (Geekware. Small images due to "single instancing" and allows partial, selected restore of image parts. Used by Microsoft to apply disk image to drive during "installation" of Windows 7.)

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online