1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Cloning/imaging to external HDD confusion

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Mr. Newton, Mar 26, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Mr. Newton

Mr. Newton Thread Starter

First Name:
    Terry
    I have just purchased an internal HDD to put in a USB external docking port(toaster).
    It is a 500GB and my internal HDD that I am currently using is a 120GB.
    What I want to achieve is to use the external as a backup and a bootable HDD in the event of a internal HDD failure.
    I have my original Windows install disk along with the other install cd's,motherboard drivers etc.
    I need to free up space on the internal by moving all my music and pictures to the external and copy all the other data from internal to external and then just keep backing up internal to external on a regular basis.
    Acronis is expensive in Canadian dollars but looks like it will do what I want.Other free programs talk about making a boot disk but that is not what I want,I just want to be able to swap the external into the comp and use it without missing a beat in case of a HDD failure.,if you know what I mean.
    Should I just bite the bullet and pay the price for Acronis and avoid any complications?
    Reading some of the tutorials on what to do is getting kind of complicated and confusing.
    Getting frustrated now.

2. padutch

padutch

Paragon Hard Disk Manager has the feature that you are looking for and it is free Download here and the free key here
    and it is free and easy to use

3. Noyb

Noyb Trusted Advisor

Do you have another External Hard Drive to use - to put your backups in ???

There's probably a couple of ways to do what you want ...
    and it might look something like this ..

Attached Files:

4. perfume

perfume Banned

Dear Mr.Newton,
    Happy to hear from you! Paragon drive backup express9 version is a freeware and as suggested, if there is no need for a "Rescue CD", go for it!

Before making up your mind, kindly consider "Macrium Reflect" freeware backup and RESTORE utility, which you may download from :http://www.macrium.com/reflectfree.asp . I found it a easy to use for backup and most importantly Restore. As you know, such utilities are only as good as their RECOVERY FUNCTION! There MR scores over others. Creating a "rescue CD" for Macrium Reflect is real easy! Scout's honour!

You need a CD-RW (keep one extra).This link will guide you by the hand in creating a Linux rescue CD :http://www.macrium.com/blog/2008/06/21/HowToRecoverYourPCUsingTheLinuxRescueCDPartI.aspx

How to create a disk image? MR (Macrium Reflect) makes it look like a walk in the park! Kindly see this article :http://www.macrium.com/blog/2008/03/25/HowToCreateADiskImageWithMacriumReflect.aspx . You can see a picture wise guide to do the task.

Now, you wanted to keep on adding to the created and stored(on a extn.HDD) image of your backup. THis article helps you to to schedule that! :http://www.macrium.com/blog/2008/04/10/HowToScheduleYourImagesAsPartOfARegularBackupCycle.aspx (y)

Is there any particular reason why you bought an internal hard disk for use as an external drive?:confused:

5. Mr. Newton

First Name:
    Terry
    padutch,I checked out Paragon and it is in the top 3 of about 5 that I have checked out so far,the others being Acronis and XXclone.
    Noyb,only the one external HDD and I want it as a bootable(in case of internal HDD failure) and as a backup drive.
    Perfume,I checked out macrium and that is the one that got way too complicated,I want the Ext HDD to do that job.I have a HDD docking port that you put an internal drive into,you just set it in and you can just pull it out and insert another HDD.They call them "toasters"http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=3516746&Sku=T925-1219
    Thanks everybody,it looks like I just have to decide which program to go with,the ball is in my court.
    I shall mark it solved.There should be a "tentatively solved" choice :)

6. padutch

padutch

I use Paragon for the many features it has. You can copy a whole HD to another with no problem. You can make partitions and you can also resize them even if you have files on them. As for backup here is what I do. C is my main boot and F is my backup bootable HD. While booted to C drive I went to my computer and opened F. I then made a folder and called it backup. I then sent it to the desktop as a shortcut. Now my C drive desktop has a shortcut folder that resides on the F. Any .exe or anything I feel is important I save a copy in there. When I boot to F drive I can open that file and install whatever I want

7. Noyb

Noyb Trusted Advisor

You have several options here …
    Do you want the Toaster to be only a bootable copy of your 120 gig Working HD …
    or would you also like to have it with a Data partition for backing up your working HD ??

It can be done .. But there’s a problem (or confusion) that can happen if you try to update the data in a bootable HD with only one bootable partition.

I don’t know about XXclone .. But I’m curious if it can specify the cloned partition size .. So you could add a Data partition ..
    Then you could have a Bootable Backup HD ... And an external HD for storing backup data in
    something like this …

Attached Files:

8. Mr. Newton

First Name:
    Terry
    I like that,it sounds easy enough,simple yet with a hint of daring :)
    Just have to get up the nerve to attempt using one of the choices I have.
    Thanks
    Will revisit Paragon and probably try it.

9. padutch

padutch

Mr.N , try it and if you have any questions along the way I will be more then happy to help

10. Mr. Newton

First Name:
    Terry
    That would be it.:)

11. Mr. Newton

First Name:
    Terry
    Thanks padutch,,I just know I will be back for answers,I really have no idea what I'm doing but that's what got me here,experimenting and learning as I make mistakes.I just chalk it up to havin' fun :)

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/812925

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice