Solved: Cloning to a new drive

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

wolfworx

I would like to clone from a 20 GB drive to a 75 GB drive. (I just love to work with old hardware, what else can I say?:))

I am trying it with Norton Ghost (yes, an older version -- 2005, I think. It is all I have).

After I have specified the Source drive and destination drive and start the transfer, I get the following error message:

"The Drive Copy could not complete successfully. Cannot copy to source drive destination location. Cannot re-size partition. The modification starting on sector 2048 will cause the partition to no be cylinder aligned."

First, is it possible to clone a 20 GB drive to a 75 GB Drive?

Next, the source drive is set for a dual boot of Win XP and Ubuntu. Could this be the problem?:confused:

Any help on this little project would be greatly Appreciated.

Noyb

Jay
Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
I would like to clone from a 20 GB drive to a 75 GB drive
No Problem

I am trying it with Norton Ghost
That's a problem (n)

First, is it possible to clone a 20 GB drive to a 75 GB Drive?
Yes ... I'd use Acronis .. Can manually specify new partition sizes.

Next, the source drive is set for a dual boot of Win XP and Ubuntu. Could this be the problem?
Possibly ???????

Are you running Ghost from your operating system or from a bootable CD or USB?

wolfworx

Yes, Dvom, the OS. Don't think I can boot from my Norton System Works CD, but I'll try.

Thanks, Noyb, I'll look into acronis.

I'll get some debate about this but my opinion is that cloning, imaging, partitioning or anything dealing with manipulating your hard drive or partitions should be done from a bootable CD or USB. That way you eliminate any problems with the OS.

The way I made a bootable Ghost USB was to create a DOS bootable USB with HP's tool you can get here:

http://www.bay-wolf.com/usbmemstick.htm

You've got to go ahead and grab the Windows 98 system files from that same site.

Then, I think all you need to add to the USB is the "ghost.exe" or "ghostpe.exe" file. (from your Ghost program folder in XP)

Then, when you boot to the USB it'll give you a "C:" prompt. At that point type "ghost" or "ghostpe" and it'll fire up.

This requires you to use your "tab" key and the arrow keys to navigate. So later I added the mouse driver to the USB. Now, at the C prompt I have to first type "mouse" then "ghost". (it's been a few years, I may have actually added the entire contents of my Ghost program folder to the USB, at the time Norton installed Ghost in a separate folder)

Noyb

Jay
Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
If your new HDD is Western Digital .. Acronis is Free.
It's a limited version without all the Bloat .. More than enough for what you're doing.
It runs from a bootable CD that you can make.

I haven't had any complaints about Ghost since I donated it to the local landfill charity.

wolfworx

Well my 75 GB drive is a Seagate. I take it you don't like Ghost much, huh, Noyb? Giving up the Ghost?

There are a lot of good free cloners and many of them on boot CD's:

Free Drive Cloners/Imagers:

Easeus Disk Copy
O&O DiskImage Express
FOG (a free cloning/imaging solution)
Redo Backup & Recovery
Terabyte CopyWipe (Can securely remove a drive's contents, or it can copy an old drive to a new one)
Disk Wizard (reduced, free Acronis for WD drives)
Runtime Shadow Copy
Dr. Freeware boot CD (also has file recovery, Avast scanner, and partitioning tools)
EASEUS Todo Backup (Partition and drive imaging)
EASEUS Disk Copy (Partition and drive cloning)
Farstone Driveclone Express
Macrium Reflect
Paragon Drive Backup Express
G4U - Ghost For Unix (Platform-independent, floppy or CD)
Clonezilla (Bare-metal restoration from image)
Partimage
Dubaron Diskimage
SystemRescueCD
EaseUs Disk Copy (Copies disks or partitions)
XXClone
CloneZilla GParted LiveCD (Complete partitioning and drive imaging/restoration tools)
Drive Image XML
Partition Saving
PCI CloneMaxx
HDClone
DriveClonerXP
Self-Image
copyr.dma (Copies disk with bad sectors for recovery)
DiscWizard (For Seagate or Maxtor drives - contains reduced version of Acronis)

Commercial Apps:

EMC (Dantz) Retrospect
Casper
NTI Backup Now (Image Edition)
XXClone Pro (One of the fastest incremental backups)
JustBoot Disk Backuper
ASIS Backup (Bootable disk image)
Paragon Drive Backup
DT Utilities PC Backup Pro (formerly, Migo PC Backup)
Easy Image
[email protected] Disk Image
O&O DiskImage
Acronis True Image Home
Farstone Drive Clone (Drive image, snapshots, file/folder backups.)
EAZ-FIX Professional and Easy Image
Drive Snapshot
ShadowProtect (Also online backups.)
Keriver Image
Avanquest Copy Commander
Paragon Drive Backup
NovaBackup
R-Drive Image
Norton Ghost
HDClone Pro or Enterprise
Terabyte Image for Windows
Terabyte Image for DOS (can directly access FAT, FAT32, and NTFS partitions)
Spotmau Disk Clone & Backup

wolfworx

Just ran the Seagate Cloning tool suggested by IMP49. Worked perfectly. Clone completed. Thanks to all.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online