1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: cloning to a new hard drive

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by bustation, Feb 22, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. bustation

bustation Thread Starter

Hi all,

I purchased a new hard drive (Wewstern Digital model WD3200AAKS) to clone my old hard drive from a dell pc (Dell Dimension E510). Western Digital's software (Data Lifeguard tools) tells me that I cannot copy the hard drive because the old one is a "dynamic" hard drive. I guess there is multiple partitions or something like that. I also tried norton Ghost to clone the whole hard drive but it will on clone the C: partition.

My question is whether or not I can copy everything, all partitions, to the new hard drive because I have not been able to do it so far with these two programs.

A secondary question is do I need to or is cloning just the C: enough?

Thanks for any help.

Matt

2. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Is the drive really a dynamic disk? To find out, go to disk management. Start>run and type in "diskmgmt.msc" without quotes and hit enter. On the left side of the console, it will say either basic or dynamic disk.

3. bustation

bustation Thread Starter

It says basic disk. I wonder why lifeguard tools said it couldn't copy it because it was a dynamic disk?

4. saikee

saikee

If the disk has to be bootable then the safest way is to clone the whole disk. It is more reliable to have a target larger than the source disk even Ghost is supposed to be able to shrink it.

5. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

I use and recommend acronis true image for cloning and backup images. They have a 15 day trial ver you can download however the full version is only $19.99 after MIR.
    That price is on newegg.

6. bustation

bustation Thread Starter

thanks everyone. I bought Ghost thinking it would clone the whole disk but I guess it won't? Sounds like the only option is to try Acronis True Image, right?

7. saikee

saikee

I used Ghost in the early days but changed to Linux because it is simpler and slightly faster. Never looking back since.

Linux is free and involves only one line of terminal command but most important one know exactly what is behind the operation. Cloning can be done in every Linux and, although I haven't tried it, the Unix too because the command Data Dump "dd" is just a kernel command.

The operation involves only reading the binary bits of a specified number of sectors from a disk and write the same on another disk or file. Since the binary bits is independent of the operating system that means any number of operating systems in any combination can be reproduced exactly.

8. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

I have used all of the cloning/imaging apps and if you are going to clone a drive, acronis is the best. For imaging backups, I also use Macrium reflect and have found that to be a very good app however it does not do cloning.

9. bustation

bustation Thread Starter

As suggested, I ended up using acronis and it worked flawlessly. Thanks for your suggestions everyone.

10. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Acronis is like Snap-On tools; it just works no problems.

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/803333

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice