Solved: Closed Ports?

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

MBchrono

I posted a few days ago about a problem I was having about not being able to access many programs including AIM and other internet based applications. I have determined that something is closing many of my ports, and I have no clue why. I have 2 computers on my home network and mine is the only that is having internet problems. I was curious as to if anyone might know what might be the cause of this. I have formatted multiple times, and all firewalls are off. I have placed myself outside of my router as well and still no go. Just curious if anyone knows a fix.

Thanks,
Matt

MBchrono

Still at a loss. This is driving me insane, any help would be apperciated.

When you say firewalls are off do you mean totally uninstalled? I have heard other mention that even with firwalls turned off but not uninstalled some have had firewall issues.

Really there are 3 things on a soho I can think of that block ports ISP's block ports on their own, NAT blocking ports and software firewalls blocking ports.

MBchrono

I am talking after a fresh format, and windows firewall is disabled. No other software is installed except for AIM, and a few other programs, all of which I cannot access. I auto configured the port for AIM and it started working. I have not been able to figure out the problem as I don't know to much about networking and such.

bearone2

Banned
whos router?

behind my linksys/nat router, most ports show as stealth on various tests.

i don't use the xp firewall, za or any other and if you have to open a port for aim and other sites you're using something else that you're not mentioning and that's closing the ports.

it sounds like you think the firewall is disabled but it isn't.

MBchrono

There is not a firewall. The only firewall that is even on the computer is the windows firewall. It is disabled. I have made sure at least 10 times that it is disabled, that is why this problem is wierd.

bearone2

Banned
something is closing the ports. you select disabling the firewall but maybe it isn't being disabled.

any thing else goofy happening.

are you running any av protection?

MBchrono

Fresh copy of windows has been installed. Nothing major other than a few instant message programs has been installed. I have disabled it though services.msc and there is zero av. I can use msn and surf the internet all day. If i try to connect to ventrilo, or anything for that matter, I cannot connect. The router is a nexland pro 400. It is odd that after I did a routine format, this problem arose. I changed no settings whatso ever. I have had this problem for about 10 days now.

MBchrono

Not really, I am just very careful. I personally havn't had a virus in years.

bearone2

Banned
you might have a virus.

i've found the online virus checks take a long time, even with cable and they don't check all the files.

i suggest you get somebody's av protection installed.

MBchrono

I have swapped hard drives, because I thought that might be the problem. I had the same problem.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online