1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Closing a Window

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by duckwing, Jul 20, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. duckwing

duckwing Thread Starter

My Windows is now set such that if I close a window, it closes all windows. How do I set it to close only the window I selected? Can it be set up to close the selected window without asking if I want to close them all?

Thanks - Jim

Guess what they are called is "TABS"

2. dustyjay

dustyjay

First Name:
    Jay
    Click the red X in the tab you want to close.

3. duckwing

duckwing Thread Starter

The problem is, when I do that it closes all tabs, not just the one I "Xed" out. Guess I could go to the Toolbar and do it but easier if I could delete from the upper right corner. It used to only delete the one I "Xed" but always asked if I wanted to delete just the selected one or all. Now it deletes all.

4. maltasama

maltasama

Are you talking about Internet Explorer?

Go to Internet Options - General - Tabs - Settings and put a check in 'Warn me when closing multiple tabs'

That should give you the warning you are talking about. It will also bring up a box asking if you want to close all tabs or just the current one.

It sounds like you are clicking the red X in the upper right corner of the browser window, which is telling IE you want to quit the session. Generally you click the red X in each tab if you just want to close that particular tab.

5. fairnooks

fairnooks Banned

Also try center wheel click on a tab, usually the default browser action is to close that tab (center wheel click on a link opens it in a new tab).

6. duckwing

duckwing Thread Starter

Thanks for the inputs. I now understand.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1008403

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice