1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: CMOS Checksum Error

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Roshith, Jan 26, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Roshith

Roshith Thread Starter

Today when i was using my computer, there was a powercut and the computer got switched off suddenly. Then when i restarted it i got an error at the POST screen saying

CMOS checksum bad
    Press f1 to run setup
    Press f2 to load defaults.

Why did this happen? Earlier also there were my computer was switched off suddenly, but this error did not come. Also, after i hit f2 to load defaults, and when i booted to windows XP, the system time was changed to April 2000. Why did this happen?

Thanks ... :)

2. norton850

norton850

CMOS errors of this type often happen with sudden power cuts. If the error continues to be a problem even after normal shutdown you may need a new CMOS battery or have a hardware problem.

In this case, you did have the sudden loss of power so following the F1,F2 instructions might be all you need to do. After setting system defaults you have to reset the correct time.

3. Roshith

Roshith Thread Starter

ok....thanks norton850...
    well....now i have resetted the correct time, but my Mcafee Antivirus says that my antivirus licence has expired for 15 month and i cant update it....:(.....what should i do?

4. norton850

norton850

Sorry I don't have any idea. You might have to contact McAfee about it.

5. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

Is it expired? If not, since you say you have set the correct time, did you set the correct date and year?

6. winbob

winbob

Roshith,

You said, "well....now i have resetted the correct time".

If the date/time setting was wrong when you booted and the AV software started, it may have written an "EXPIRED" code in its Registry entry. You may either want to edit the Registry :eek: to remove or modify the expiration code. Or uninstall the AV software, and then remove all the respective Registry entries pertaining to that product.

ONLY attempt this if you are familiar with Registry editing!!!!

7. Roshith

Roshith Thread Starter

thanks for the replies norton850,acacandy and winbob....

yes acacandy....i have set the correct year....thats why the problem came up.

and winbob....is there any way i can remove the "expired" code from the registry?
    is it very complicated? i dont have much experience with registry editing though i have done a little bit.
    The reason i dont want to uninstall the AV is that the cd i am having is kinda old. And to update the definitions, i would have to download more than 200 definition files, and that will take ages over my dial-up connection...:(

8. kiwiguy

kiwiguy

You don't install all the previous definitions.
    Usually just the latest one, they are "sequential replacement" in nature, and not "additive".

9. Roshith

Roshith Thread Starter

yes.....i know i dont have to install the previos definitions.
    but like i said.....i have an old version....version 7.0..n to update it....i would have to download 200 Signature files....in addition to the ones that are already installed....

10. Roshith

Roshith Thread Starter

would it be possible to save the definition files to another location and then re-install the AV again? if so...where would the definition files be and what extension would they have?

11. kiwiguy

kiwiguy

Sorry, I simply do not understand.

If you reinstall McAfee, you would only need to download the last definition (virus signature) file. About 3 MB.

1 file.

Not "200" of them....

You do not download all the previous ones.

12. Roshith

Roshith Thread Starter

let me try explaining once again...

when i had first installed the AV, and i ran the update...there were a list of updates....and among them was "Antivirus signature files"....when i selected that, it started downloading the signature files...and the caption above was "downloading 1 of 192"...then.."downloading 2 of 192"........etc.......

hope you have understood what i meant.....btw.....if its of any relevance...im not downloading the updates from the websites....im doing it by using "auto update" in the program itself.....

13. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

Norton does the same thing, it does take a while to download if you are on dial-up.

Have you thought about upgrading McAfee to the newer version? Most often you can get it free after rebate with the first page of your user's manual. I haven't paid for McAfee for a few years.

Another option is to email McAfee and explain what happened. They may be able to give you some kind of renewal code if you are paying for the subscription thru them.

14. Roshith

Roshith Thread Starter

thanks for the info acacandy......:)

15. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/323652

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice