1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: CMOS settings problem american megatrends.

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by maxdesolate, Jun 19, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. maxdesolate

maxdesolate Thread Starter

hi folks. good day to you all. my name is max. i can install windows and manage basic troubleshooting related to software without any problems. a couple of months back i installed windows xp on my friends computer and it was working fine but a month after installation, when he booted the comp up, he would get the startup options msg (safe,normal and so on) instead of windows booting up normally. when he tried to boot it up in any mode,the windows xp loading logo would just appear and windows just kept restarting. i thought it might be a software problem ,so i made a fresh install of xp and it was working fine . but now once again the same problem seems to have occured. this screen pops up when he starts the comp. i have included the image he sent me (its a bit blurry but you can make out whats on it). i searched about it and as you can see in the image, the problem seems to be about CMOS settings. now, from what i have learned so far after researching about it is that its either the CMOS battery that has lost its charge, died, or maybe its just a CMOS (or bios? not sure) settings problem. can you guys please take a look at the image and tell me what exactly is wrong and what steps i would have to take to fix his problem? thank you in advance.
    http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=rr2sch&s=5

2. valis

valis Moderator

welcome to TSG......I get that all the time on my w7 rig, the cmos battery is just shot. I haven't replaced mine yet, but you can buy one for dirt cheap at any electronics store.

3. maxdesolate

thank you valis for the quick reply and the welcome. so its a common problem when the battery dies then. what i have a doubt about is, are there different models of these small cmos batteries or will i need to find a specific one for that particular comp?

4. valis

valis Moderator

nah....they are standard....just for kicks, hit f1 and go into set up and see what the system time is set to.

5. maxdesolate

hehe. ok mate. i will do that. the problem is, he lives far from my place. thats why i wanted to be sure how to go about the whole thing. thank you very much once again. i really appreciate it. :)

6. valis

valis Moderator

no worries.....sorta what we're here for.......:)

even better that he's away from your joint.....now you can make him do the work. ;)

7. maxdesolate

all well, its not gonna be that easy. hes not that tech savvy and i will have to do it for him. he has trouble even starting the comp in safe mode (and fixing firefox issues for that matter. hehe ). gonna have to ask him to bring the cpu here or go there myself. well, anyway...see you later mate. have a good day/night.

8. valis

valis Moderator

you do the same.....keep us informed......:)

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1101594

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice