1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: coincidence or not? cd/dvd probs

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by muppy03, Nov 12, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. muppy03

muppy03 Thread Starter

First Name:
    Chris
    Hi Guys, Sons cd/dvd drive stopped working yesterday, wont show that anything is in drive, tried a variety of cd's and dvd. Ok, he uses it a lot warranty ended a couple of days previous to figured as usual it died when warranty died. The funny thing is he tried to play a game on my comp and the same thing.. nothing on the cd/dvd drive works. Tried different cd's to the ones he tried on his comp. Sooo is it a coincidence that the both died, (one comp is three years old the other 12 months) or could we have some other kind of problem. done all the checks i can think of comps are clean. any help would be appreciated.

thanks

2. Elvandil

Elvandil

Sounds strange. Did you have smoke in the place?

3. muppy03

muppy03 Thread Starter

First Name:
    Chris
    well son thought he smelt burning, so we presumed he had just worn it out, its in use constantly. i am prepared to buy a new cd/dvd drive. Only checking here since he couldnt get the other one to work either. even with cds he doesnt use and look in perfect condition. (originals not burnt ones) . since posting one of my daughters tried burning something basically to see if it worked.(on the older comp) it did work and even played and yet when i put in a 'real' cd and dvd did not recoginise it at all. could be they are both broken just odd at same time, and of course dont want to get new ones if its not hardware but some setting that has been changed.

4. MysticEyes

MysticEyes Banned

Go into Device Manager find the burner, right click-> Uninstall and re-boot.

5. Elvandil

Elvandil

Actually, I was trying to think of something that might affect both (if they are even near one another), like the room filling with wood smoke and the laser lens getting dirty. Commercial lens cleaners can help with some of these issues, depending on the environment.

Anything else in common between the machines, like new programs or Windows updates?

6. muppy03

muppy03 Thread Starter

First Name:
    Chris
    tried that mystic eyes but thanks anyway.

thanks too elvandil, im now thinking it was just coincidence. found old drive in shed (amazing what we keep) didnt know if it even worked but decided to try it anyway. well it worked so that proved son had just killed his. Now im on to conspiricy theories (lol) his broke 3 days after warranty ran out, mine was 3 year warranty and bought around christmas time so prob just ran out too.. (ok i know im an idiot) either way thanks for the feedback it was appreciated.;-)

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!