1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

[SOLVED] Color Codes

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by bturner, Dec 10, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. bturner

bturner Thread Starter

Hi Guys, same machine, new problem. It was a Camero motherboard from a Compaq Presario 7478 Computer with a 533mhz processor, Win 98 and 64 megs of ram. I had to switch motherboards but the pins from the on/off switch don't match. Does any one have an idea as to how I can tell which wires are for the hard drive, the keylock...etc... from the power switch. I have six colored wires. in a socket with (8) connections, from Left to Right

1) empty
    2) Blue Wire
    3) Brown Wire
    4) Red Wire
    5) empty
    6) Orange wire
    7) Yellow wire
    8) Green Wire

If you look at the bottom end of the cable, from Right to Left, the Green, Yellow and Orange are side by side, then an empty space, followed by Red, Brown and Blue wires. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance for your support. bturner

2. anglin_fool

anglin_fool

hey bturner,

The best thing to do is to go to the mobo manufacturer's website and download a manual. I did for mine and I found out a bunch of neat stuff about my mobo. I didn't know I can overclock my processor to over 1000mhz by jumpering it a certain way. I also had the same prob you have.

3. bturner

bturner Thread Starter

I've already tried motherboards.org and Compaq's support site, gee what a waste of time, no help at all. This is a Compaq motherboard. It has an Apollo MVP3 chipset, Socket 7, the name of the board is Camero and that's all I can find out. The only other solution if I can't get the color codes is to buy another case. Thanks for the reply.

4. Rockn

Rockn

The easiest way would be to trace the wires to their source. If the green wire goes to the on/off switch that's what that is for, if the red and blue wires go to the hard drive LED, that's whar that pair is for. Really easy if you look hard enough!

5. bturner

bturner Thread Starter

Instead of the hassle, I bought a new case. Problem solved. Thank You.

6. Rockn

Rockn

u give up too easily...LOL

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/61359

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice