1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Combine 2 hard drive partitions to one?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by AlomWare-com, Feb 15, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. AlomWare-com

AlomWare-com Thread Starter

Hi all. :) Here is my situation:

http://i.imgur.com/180lepA.png

I have three partitions for my hard drive, and I want to combine the second (E) and third (D) together. Windows will only let me "shrink" all three of these partitions, and won't let me "extend" the second into the third.

What's the secret? :)

2. Noyb

Noyb Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Jay
    Since E is Empty ... Delete E and Extend D

3. DaveBurnett

DaveBurnett Account Closed

Which Windows version is that? The reason I ask is because that map does not look right to me although I don't have Windows later than 7. I would expect to see a Primary partition wrapped round that logical/extended one.

As said above, you should be able to merge them
    Do you have a third party partition tool (not just Windows built in one)

4. AlomWare-com

Hi guys. I am using Windows 7 Ultimate, and running as admin for this task. I deleted E as advised, but as I said above, I don't get any option to extend C or D to grab the extra 2 GB of space. When I right-click both drives, the only option is to shrink them, not extend.

See: http://i.imgur.com/9EORqxg.png

I don't understand why I can't move the space to D. I've done it before this way, and never used any third-party tools (nor really want to).

5. DaveBurnett

Try clicking on D and extending that into the free space!

6. managed

managed Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Allan
    In the screenshot you can't extend a partition to the left only to the right, so you should be able to extend C but first right -click on the 'free space' and then click 'Delete Volume' so it becomes 'unallocated' then you should get the 'extend' option when you right-click on C.

7. AlomWare-com

Look at my screenshot... that's what I'm trying, and it won't let me. :(

The goal is to extend the 2 GB to the D partition, not C. But I was able to delete the 2 GB partition and put it back to C, so now I only have C and D drives. Just wish I could make the D drive a bit larger.

8. managed

First Name:
    Allan
    Well you couldn't resize D without using 3rd party software and you said you didn't want to do that.

You can still do it using something like Partition Wizard free version :- http://download.cnet.com/MiniTool-P...4_4-10962200.html?part=dl-&subj=dl&tag=button

You will have to move the right edge of C to the left to make some space then move the start of D left to the start of that space. That's impossible using only Windows but Partition Wizard can do it. I use it myself.

9. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Before you mess with any partition editing, make sure you have a current backup of anything important. While using the above software is pretty safe, it is always a good idea to have a current backup.

10. DaveBurnett

I take it you have tried after a reboot?

I think that in your screen shot you have the empty space clicked not partition D

11. Noyb

Noyb Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Jay
    I'm thinking the Free Space really needs to be unallocated before C can be extended ?????
    Doesn't the Free Space Volume need to be Deleted first ????

Attached Files:

• 11.jpg
      11.jpg
      File size:
      106.2 KB
      Views:
  12. DaveBurnett

No, not that.
    If he right clicks D he should be able to extend that into the free space.

13. AlomWare-com

Yep.

Nope. :( Right-clicking on every drive letter (C, D, E) only had an option to shrink that letter, not extend. Extend was disabled for every drive.

I may have to try that free app mentioned above after all. Thanks for the recommendation. And yes, the important data from each drive is backed up.

14. AlomWare-com

Yes, that's what I ended up doing. :)

But NOT what you showed in your screenshot, which was a big red arrow telling me to delete my 1.5 TB portable drive! :eek:

15. managed

First Name:
    Allan
    Did you miss my post ? :rolleyes:

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!