1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Combining Hard Drive Partitions

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by donsor, Jan 15, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. donsor

donsor Thread Starter

I have a hard drive (with no OS) which has two partitions of 100Gb each. I wish to combine them into a single partition. How do I do that. Will I need a special software to do that?

Thanks

2. dai

dai

3. Lucky09

Lucky09

Hi,

You can connect your HDD to compatible PC.
    With Windows7,
    - go to Computer Management
    - select Disk Managemanent
    - look for your HDD, right click on one of the partition then select delete volume
    - the deleted volume will now become unallocated partition
    - right click on the other active partition the select extend volume
    - put the maximum volume you can extend
    - after extend is done it will now show as one partition then you can do format

4. donsor

donsor Thread Starter

Sorry Lucky09. I have WinXP HomEd 32-Bit OS.

5. Lucky09

Lucky09

This will help. Please make sure you select the correct drive or else you will lose the partition/drive you don't want to lose.

•
    To open Computer Management, click Start, and then click Control Panel. Click Performance and Maintenance, click Administrative Tools, and then double-click Computer Management.
    •
    You must be logged on as an administrator or a member of the Administrators group in order to complete this procedure. If your computer is connected to a network, network policy settings may also prevent you from completing this procedure.
    •
    You cannot delete the system volume, boot volume, or any volume that contains the active paging file or crash dump (memory dump).
    •
    You cannot delete an extended partition unless the extended partition is empty.
    All the logical drives in an extended partition be deleted before you can delete the extended partition.
    Using a command line
    Open Command Prompt
    Type:
    diskpart
    At the DISKPART prompt, type:
    list disk
    Make note of the disk number of the disk from which you want to delete the partition.
    select disk n
    Select the disk n from which you want to delete the partition.
    list partition
    Make note of the number of the partition that you want to delete.
    select partition n
    Select the partition n that you want to delete.
    delete partition

6. managed

managed Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Allan
    If you don't need to keep any of the Data on that HDD use XP's Disk management to delete the 2 partitions on it now then Create a new one that fills thye drive.

If you want to keep any data on the HDD you can try this to Merge the 2 partitions into 1 :- http://www.partition-tool.com/resource/merge-partitions/merge-partitions-xp.htm
    I would back up any important files before you do the Merge.

7. donsor

donsor Thread Starter

I've decided to buy the Drive Erase Pro. I haven't used it yet so I'll see what happens when I do. All I'm trying to do is to erase data in the hard drive for use in another PC. I've got an external hard drive inclosure whereby I can insert any hard drive and do the erase. There are several levels of erasures and for my purpose, I'll just do the "Fast".

8. dai

dai

there are free ones

killdisk and dban

if you wish to erase the drive to pass onto someone else don't use the fast erase

9. matthewdownloads

matthewdownloads

Yup, dban is well known but use it with care.

http://www.dban.org

10. raybro

raybro

If all you want is to delete the 2 partitions and create one single partition, Easeus Partition Master is tailor made for the job. Easy and simple to use program and its FREE!

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1085347

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice