1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Combining SSD with external HDD

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Irrational, Jan 16, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Irrational

Irrational Thread Starter

Since my laptop has space for only one HDD/SSD (If we neglect the idea of replacing ODD with HDD) I though of buying an SSD to use it for OS/apps and external HDD (something like WD MyBook or My Passport) with USB 3.0 to use it for storage. It this a good idea?

2. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Sure. You do need to understand that external drives have limitations;
    1 They are not made for continuous duty. They are made to switch ON and make a backup, etc then OFF. This does not apply if the enclosure has its own cooling fan [which almost none do]
    2 They are not as reliable as an internal drive. This is due to shock damage of moving the drive AND the extra interface of the enclosure.

In any case, data you do not have at least two copies of [on separate media] is data you do not care about. Make sure you have multiple backups of important work files.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1085456

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice