1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: ComboFix vs. Registry Cleaners

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Jason08, Jun 2, 2009.

?

Which is the better of the 2 to use anytime/fix up the PC

1. Registry Cleaners

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. ComboFix

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Jason08

Jason08 Thread Starter

I was thinking, the general user should just not use either one, but which would be the "better" to just pick up and start using? (Not like I'm going to do so, but just out of curiosity.) I'm thinking Registry Cleaners.

2. Jack Hackett

Jack Hackett

There are two totally different things, cant see how you can compare them and have a poll.

3. Rich-M

Rich-M

Exactly one is for cleaning Vubdo infections and the other is for mutillating your registry.
    They have nothing to do with each other though used without supervision, Combofix will bork your system and make it as unbootable as a registry cleaner will.

4. Jason08

Jason08 Thread Starter

I know they are totally different, but from what I've heard, they both can severely mess up the computer.

5. Jack Hackett

Jack Hackett

Combofix is a powerful malware cleaner, you can write specific scripts for it to kill processes , remove folders and files. It can if used properly (preferably with supervision) help cleanse an infected system.

A registry cleaner does no real good for your system whatsoever and can screw it all up beyond repair.

6. rka0

rka0 Banned

7. WhitPhil

WhitPhil Gone but never forgotten Trusted Advisor

As stated, you are comparing apples and oranges.

Reg Cleaners are NOT for the feint of heart and Combofix should only be run under the direction of a Malware Expert (IE a Gold Shield).

And yes, both in the wrong hands can mangle your system!

8. Jason08

Jason08 Thread Starter

Thanks, but I actually already have Malwarebytes, and I do not have any infections.

Maybe to resctructer the thread I should say, "When the registry has hundreds of errors and there are serious infections on the computer, to use either if the situation comes up, which is the better of the two, since they both can be dangerous?"

9. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    Don't use any registry cleaner under any circumstance - no matter what it claims to have found or can do.

As previously advised, Combofix should be used only under the supervision of a yellow shield malware expert who will give you specific instructions.

If you want to ignore the advice given, then make sure to have a full version XP CD and a CD-R with the device drivers for your computer.

---------------------------------------------------------------

10. Jason08

Jason08 Thread Starter

I understand, neither should just be picked up and "used", but I guess what I should really ask, which can do more harm to the computer? If I found myself in either situation, I would likely come here for help, but it was out of curiosity, since we don't recommend either initially to fix either problem, which could do more harm/be better for the PC, since they both can do harm.

11. WhitPhil

WhitPhil Gone but never forgotten Trusted Advisor

How long is a piece of string?

It's a rhetorical question! On some configs, registry cleaners to little OR nominal damage. On others, complete devastation.

Similarly Combofix. It would depend on the level of infestation.

12. Blackmirror

Blackmirror

I have resorted to a reg cleaner
    made a restore point first

In my attempt to install an AV

13. Jason08

Jason08 Thread Starter

Ok. Since I guess the answer is "similar", I'm going to mark this solved.

14. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/832047

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice