1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Comcast Bandwidth Meter Now?

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by big-tony, May 5, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. big-tony

big-tony Thread Starter

I got this email a few weeks ago.

Dear Comcast High-Speed Internet Customer,

We are pleased to announce the pilot launch of the Comcast Usage Meter in your area. This new feature is available to Comcast High-Speed Internet customers and provides an easy way to check total monthly household high-speed Internet data usage at any time. Monthly data usage is the amount of data, such as images, movies, photos, videos, and other files that customers send, receive, download or upload each month. Comcast measures total data usage and does not monitor specific customer activities to determine data usage.

The current data usage allowance for the Comcast High-Speed Internet service is 250GB per month. This means that the vast majority of our customers – around 99% currently – will not come close to using 250GB of data in a month, and do not need to check the usage meter. For more information on the data usage policy, please visit http://help.comcast.net/aup.

Now I am wondering admittingly, I download tons of full length movies,software, Games etc on a daily basis as well as some moderate online gaming such as Call of Duty Modern Warfare 2. How quickly will this all eat up that 250gb bandwidth?
    Comcast stated that 99% of heir Customers would never use 250gb bandwidth in a month but I think that is full of b.s.

However, I don't know how bandwidth online is calculated. For instance, say I download a game that is 1gb in file size, is that also 1gb used in online bandwidth?

2. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
  3. big-tony

big-tony Thread Starter

you forgot to post it :p

4. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    yep, sorry, its there now

5. big-tony

big-tony Thread Starter

ok I have checked it out. So roughly about half of the stuff I download will count towards the bandwidth? Like if I download a 1 gb game, 500mb will be added to the bandwidth meter?

6. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    No you use up 1GB of bandwidth plus maybe a bit for the overhead of getting it, they will be an overhead for resending packets, acknowledgements - not sure lets say 10-20% could be a lot higher not an expert here - you could try a download meter on your PC - quite a few free online and just see what 1gb uses - make sure nothing else is using the bandwidth - like virus updates, windows updates etc

7. valis

valis Moderator

if you are downloading movies daily, I'd be sweating it. Where are you downloading them from?

8. big-tony

big-tony Thread Starter

ugh! I forgot to factor all that in too! lol Because I am an Updating junkie and like to keep everything up to date.
    I guess I will have to find some sort of Widget for my desktop to monitor my bandwidth from now on.

(y) I'll Mark this solved because because you answered my question in your last post.:)

9. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    A friend of mine was thinking of getting a USB 3G device to use abroad and we worked out the cost just based on downloading an Avast virus update and the cost was HIGH .....

I dont have a recommended software - I did use a freeware one some time ago cant remember the full name - something like netmonitor.....

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!