1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Comcast cable box converter

Discussion in 'Do It Yourself (Not Computer-Related)' started by 1951dodge, Feb 20, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. 1951dodge

1951dodge Thread Starter

Does anyone know if you can BUY a converter box (analog to digital) instead of paying Comcast on a monthly basis. If you have a HD TV do you need the converter box?
    Thanks for any information on this. I am tired of paying increased fees to Cable companies.

2. hewee

hewee

3. 1951dodge

1951dodge Thread Starter

Your link is exactly why I was asking about an option. Are we stuck with Comcast and their fees forever. Which by the way never decrease. I would like to get something to use which does not require me to use Comcast. There must be something out there, somewhere, that I can use to avoid Comcast charges?
    Thanks for your response.

4. Rearden

Rearden Banned

If your television has a digital tuner (all new ones do), then you just need a digital antenna, and you can pick up over-the-air digital high-definition signals for free.

If you want to watch cable channels, then you need either a Comcast receiver or DVR or you could rent a CableCARD and use it with a media center computer or third-party DVR like Tivo or Moxi.

5. hewee

hewee

I got to change my comcast because the plan I had the pass couple of years went up to almost $80.00 and I only now have limited basic after they said they were giving me more then I was paying for. So now I get nothing really but the local and some other junk.

So time to find me a deal or a deal on internet and get an digital antenna.

6. 1951dodge

1951dodge Thread Starter

I would like to thank the responders to my question. Now I need clarification of the "Digital" antenna. Is that like the old UHF/VHF type that had to placed on the roof or do they have a newer version?
    Thanks again

7. Rearden

Rearden Banned

You can get outdoor antennas, but there are some good indoor ones as well. Since signal strength and channel availability varies greatly by location, it's best to ask a neighbor or a local store what they recommend.

I've heard this website recommended for information, but I'm not sure how to interpret the results.

http://antennaweb.org/

8. 1951dodge

1951dodge Thread Starter

I thank everyone for their responses. Now I have some research to do and decisions to make.
    Thanks again.

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1090387

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice