1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Comcast modem and D-link Wireless router

Discussion in 'Networking' started by rashafuller, Oct 2, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. rashafuller

rashafuller Thread Starter

Step one, turn off power to everything. Step two, connected modem to router and router to computer and powered up modem. Waited for lights and powered up router. Waited for lights and powered up computer.....Limited or no connectivity for wireless connection. Configured DNS and connection to router was good. However, cannot access router and still no Internet connection. Below I will list original config with just the use of cable modem:

The default gateway for the router is 192.168.1.1, however when I go to command prompt the config info looks something like this:

Anyway, you can see my problem. I need help because I am at a lost on how to get my money's worth.

2. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Try to connect to the router via both ethernet and wireless and show ...

Start, Run, CMD, OK to open a command prompt:
    (For Vista type CMD in the Search box after Start)

Type the following command:

IPCONFIG /ALL

[Note that there is no space between the slash and ALL.]

Right click in the command window and choose Select All, then hit Enter.
    Paste the results in a message here.

If necessary use a text file and removable media to copy the results to a computer with internet access.

3. rashafuller

Not with the laptop right now. If you don't mind telling me what exactly you are looking for I could probaly tell you from memory given I worked on this issue for 4 hours before giving up.

4. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    I am looking in the ipconfig /all for clues as to the problem or for the next trouble shooting step(s).

5. rashafuller

Ok, I will post the info later this afternoon. Please, please don't forget about me. I really need the issue resolved...it's killing me that I have spent so much money on school and they have yet to teach me how to resolve my own networking problems.

6. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Getting philosophical for a moment, I think nobody can really teach such things as resolving networking problems. We each have to learn it by tackling problems, observing others, getting advice from others, practice, practice, practice. I can attest that reading threads in this forum and trying to help others is a great education. And it's "free" if you can stand the ads.

I can't guarantee when I'll be online, but I always keep up with threads to which I've posted so you can be sure that I'll be around sooner or later. And if I'm not quick enough, somebody else will read the ipconfig /all and help you solve it! :)

7. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Reset the router to factory defaults by holding the reset button down for 15 seconds with power on. The following procedure should get you a connection with any broadband modem that is configured to use DHCP for the router connection, such as cable modems, and many DSL modems. If you require PPPoE configuration for the DSL modem, that will have to be configured to match the ISP requirements.

• Turn off everything, the modem, router, computer.
    • Connect the modem to the router's WAN/Internet port.
    • Connect the computer to one of the router's LAN/Network ports.
    • Turn on the modem, wait for a steady connect light.
    • Turn on the router, wait for two minutes.
    • Boot the computer.

When the computer is completely booted, let's see this.

Hold the Windows key and press R, then type CMD to open a command prompt:

In the command prompt window that opens, type type the following command:

IPCONFIG /ALL

Right click in the command window and choose Select All, then hit Enter.
    Paste the results in a message here.

If you are on a machine with no network connection, use a floppy, USB disk, or a CD-RW disk to transfer a text file with the information to allow pasting it here.

8. rashafuller

Thanks to all. That is exactly what I did (after taking pain killers to relieve the headache from all this). It dawned on me this morning and good golly it worked. Again thanks to every one.

9. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Glad we could help. :)

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!