Solved: Command line cmd frozen on Documents and Settings\Owner

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

joesixties

Hello,

When I go to Start-Run-cmd-ok the resulant screen shows:

C:\Documents and Settings\Owner

and I don't know how to delete this line so that I can enter the command that I want to run (driverquery).
I'm hoping that there is a simple solution. I obviously am not too experienced in using the command prompt.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you.

Joe Sixties

Hello,

When I go to Start-Run-cmd-ok the resulant screen shows:

C:\Documents and Settings\Owner

and I don't know how to delete this line so that I can enter the command that I want to run (driverquery).
I'm hoping that there is a simple solution. I obviously am not too experienced in using the command prompt.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you.

Joe Sixties
That's what's known as the Command Prompt and you don't delete it - you simply start you required command by typing at the prompt - the cursor should be flashing to show you where. Just type the word help and some of the other things you can do will pop up along with the Prompt again to type the next command.

joesixties

Thank you for your help and reply. I am trying to get a list of the drivers on my computer. The Microsoft website tells me to go to command prompt and enter "driverquery" but when I do that I get this message: "driverquery is not recognized as an internal or external command, operable program or batch file" When I entered "help" I did get a list of commands and functions but "driverquery" was not listed. Any ideas or suggestions?

Thank you.

Joe

In which case, I'm guessing you have XP Home and the Driverquery function in only available in Pro. I'm afraid you're going to have to go the long way around via Control Panel>System>Hardware>Device Manager then click on each suspect item and the on Update Driver.

Copy and paste this line into the Command Prompt, then press Enter (be sure there is a space between the different colors)
Code:
sc [COLOR=Red]query[/COLOR] type= [COLOR=Red]driver[/COLOR] state= [COLOR=Red]all[/COLOR]
To paste into the Command Prompt, right click the Window, click Paste. If Quick Edit is enabled, the right click will paste immediately.
Not as pretty an output as the driverquery command, but will list some drivers that the driverquery command doesn't

joesixties

Thanks to both Saga Lout and TheOutcaste. I couldn't paste the command but I typed it in and it worked just fine. Again, thanks for your time and help. It is appreciated.

Joe

Thanks to both Saga Lout and TheOutcaste. I couldn't paste the command but I typed it in and it worked just fine. Again, thanks for your time and help. It is appreciated.

Joe
Glad you sorted it in the end - I've noted The Outcaste's alternative to Driverquery in case I need it. Quick tip for the future - to paste into the Command form, right click and select paste. As you doubtless found, Control V only reproduces itself at the Prompt.

joesixties

Actually, when I right clicked in the window, the resultant pop up menu did not have the paste option in bold print, it was that light black color so that I could not select it. That's why I typed in the command.

Thanks again,
Joe

That means there was nothing in the clipboard to paste.
Highlight the text you want to copy, then either right click and click Copy, or press CTRL+V. Then it should work, though sometimes it does seem to ignore the copy part.

joesixties

That did it! I think my mouse was on the fritz. I swapped it out with an old one and presto, it worked. Thanks again for all of the help. I guess you can mark this thread closed.

Thanks,

joe

You're Welcome!

And actually, you can mark it solved:
If your issue has been resolved you (and ONLY you) can mark this thread Solved by using the Mark Solved button at the Top Left of this thread (above the first post) :)

Jerry

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online