1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Command line window keeps closing

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by EatDrinkSmoke, Oct 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. EatDrinkSmoke

EatDrinkSmoke Thread Starter

I am running tracert and other commands from the command line but the window keeps closing as soon as the task is completed. I want to capture some info to send to my ISP but don't get the chance. Running Win XP on a Compaq Presario - loads of disk space, memory and processor capacity. It worked fine until a couple of days ago but I haven't changed anything.

2. mt2002

mt2002

Code:
    tracert www.somesite.com >outfile.txt
    This will write all output information to outfile.txt. The file will be located in the current directory. You can get the needed information by viewing the file.

I dont have a direct answer to why the command prompt would instantly close though..

3. Frank4d

Frank4d Retired Trusted Advisor

Are you running tracert from Start > Run? Or running cmd from Start > Run, and then running tracert at the command window prompt? The behavior you are seeing should not occur for the later.

4. EatDrinkSmoke

Nice one - works exactly like you say. If I use cmd the window doesn't close - if i enter tracert directly at the run command it closes - bizarre. Many thanks

5. EatDrinkSmoke

Thanks - tried this and it works if I use the cmd option first (see reply from Frank4d below) - if i try to do this from the run window it just closes the window and the output file isnt created - I dont think it is even doing the trace as it closes almost immediately. Very strange.

6. Frank4d

Frank4d Retired Trusted Advisor

That's the way it works for nearly all Windows commands. However, opening any program or file that is not a Windows command from Start > Run opens and stays open.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/755735

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice