1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Comments on hardware configuration/price...

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by kmalik, Sep 12, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. kmalik

kmalik Thread Starter

I am about to go with a custom builder to build the following desktop system:

System Core
    Motherboard Asus P5WDH Deluxe Wireless Edition
    CPU Intel Core 2 Duo E6700 (2.66 GHz, FSB1066, 4 MB L2)
    Ram 4 x Corsair XMS CM2X1024-5400C4 DDR2-667 1024MB
    Video Card Asus GeForce 6200 16MB Silent
    Storage
    Hard Drive Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 320GB SATAII
    Floppy Drive NEC 3.5inch 1.44 Floppy Drive (black)
    CD / DVD Plextor PX-760A 18x Dual Layer DVD+RW/-RW
    Case / Cooling
    Case Lian-Li PC7H+ w/ Window (black)
    Power Supply Seasonic S12 Series 500W Power Supply
    CPU Cooling Thermalright SI-128 Heatsink w/ 120mm Scythe Fan
    Accessories
    Accessories System Restore DVD (based on Acronis True Image OEM)
    Services Warranty: Lifetime Labor, 1 Year Parts

Price: $2330.95 (+ shipping)

I know video card component is perhaps inadequate, but I am not a gamer. So, my thinking there is to upgrade this for Vista later. My usage is for data and processing intensive forecasting/optimization applications I myself develop in Java and/or use of statistical packages. I also plan to use if for office applications, some Macromedia and browsing.

Any comments on what's on it and what's not are most welcome! The pricing is from Puget Systems to build it. I myself am not a buider, nor was I able to find someone local enough.

Thanks a lot in advice for any wisdom you care to share!

2. Rich-M

Rich-M

Looks fine to me, but the one thing I would suggest is up the video card to match the system and go at least with a 6600 nvidia card.

3. kmalik

kmalik Thread Starter

One advice I got was to go with a really cheap video card now and upgrade to DirectX 10 card when one becomes available. That will avoid spending extra money now on something I'd perhaps want to updgrade when I move to Vista. At present, I am using a Nokia 445Xi VGA monitor - so I could perhaps live with the low-end video card for now...

4. Rich-M

Rich-M

Unless I am missing something here, Dx have always been software upgrades anyway, and I have seen this caution before without undrerstanding it.

5. kmalik

kmalik Thread Starter

As you can guess, I am barely literate in this technology and the following could be way off base. What I understood is that some features in Vista will want a "Direct X 10 card" (that supports the DirectX 10, a new driver model for graphics adapters) that are not yet on the market...

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/500542

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice