Solved: Common Startup Items

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

GoJoAGoGo

Joe
How do you remove the "Common Startup" items from the startup list in msconfig for Windows XP? I did locate and remove the "Run" items that are located in HKLM\Software\Microsoft\WindowsCurrent Version\Run.

Thanks

I am not sure what is your question and what you have done.

So did you used MSCONFIG and unchecked the items you did not want started, and you want to know how to permanently remove them?

GoJoAGoGo

Joe
Thanks for your reply. Yes, in msconfig I have several "Common Startup" items that are unchecked and I would like to have them removed from the list.

i would usally just remove their registry key

in the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run

once that is done, they will not appear in the msconfig window

PS depending on the item, sometimes they will just look like a blank space in the msconfig window after the registry key is removed

Items unchecked in MSCONFIG are store in one of the following locations:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Shared Tools\MSConfig\startupreg
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\SharedTools\MSConfig\startupfolder

Find these keys and delete the specific items you want permanently removed.

GoJoAGoGo

Joe
inuyasha320:

Thanks, I did remove the "Run" items that way but I had to go back into msconfig and recheck them because there isn't a Run- Key like in Windows 98/ME. The "Common Startup" items aren't located there.

GoJoAGoGo

Joe
Dan O:

Thanks, yes, that worked out great. The unchecked "Common Startup" items where located in the:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\SharedTools\MSConfig\startupfolder

(y)

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.