1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Comodo Firewall tells me it has detected a new network

Discussion in 'Networking' started by mtzlplex, Jan 21, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. mtzlplex

mtzlplex Account Closed Thread Starter

I wasn`t sure where this should be posted, but since it involves an unknown network, I figured I would start out by posting it here. Yesterday my internet went out in the middle of doing my average daily surfing(all sites I know are in good standing) when my internet suddenly went out. Later on that day, I went through the process of trying to get back online(turned off/unpluged power to modem, reset modem). When I turned my computer back on to see if I could get online, Comodo Firewall threw up a window telling me that it had detected that my computer has joined a new network and needs to know how to treat the new network according to my location. The IP address Comodo gave for the new network joined was 169.254.131.41/17 Neither the wife or I know anything about setting up, or joining a new network, so it wasn`t anything done by us, and we are the only ones accessing our computers. As a side note, I ended up having to call AT&T to get back online, evidently there was an error in my line. I have run all my antivirus/malware programs, and they all show up clean. I would appreciate any thoughts on why our computers would be according to Comodo Firewall have joined a new network without us knowing. Running Windows XP Thanks for taking time.

Regards
    Mtzlplex

2. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    When your computer did not get a response from a Dhcp server (your ISP's assuming you are using just a modem) it assigned an APIPA (169.254.x.y) and that, of course, is a different network.

3. mtzlplex

mtzlplex Account Closed Thread Starter

Thanks for the info Terry, nothing to be concerned about then right.

Regards
    Mtzlplex

4. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Right, no worries.

You're welcome. :)

You can mark this solved using the [​IMG] button at the upper left of the page or just below the last post.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1086278

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice