1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: comp. crashing

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by gmanwill, Nov 27, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. gmanwill

gmanwill Thread Starter

Hi everyone,
    Having a problem with my sons comp. constantly crashing when doing even the simplest of things like opening spybot or signing in to check his mail on yahoo. He has an athlon xp2800+ on an asus a7n8x-e deluxe mobo with 1gb.kingston pc3200 ram, i have checked cpu temp.in bios immediately after it goes down and it always reads in the 46c to 48c range, i took note of the error message recieved and it is as follows-

bccode:100000d1 bcp1:2edfcd17 bcp2:000000f bcp3:00000000
    bcp4:2edfcd17 osver:5_1_2600 sp2_0 product 768_1

c:\documents 1\andy\locals 1\temp\wer771b\mini 112605_01.dmp

c:\documents 1\andy\locals 1\temp\wer771b.dir00\sysdata.xml

if anyone can decipher this and give me an idea what the problem coulb be i would really appreciate it.

thanks gmanwill. :confused: :confused:

2. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Start by testing the RAM: http://www.memtest.org/

Make sure to run at least 3 passes.

Then I'd be checking for viruses, trojans, spyware, and adware.

I would also disable Automatic Restarts and make note of any file names on the bluescreen. Go to Control Panel -> System -> Advanced -> Startup and Recovery -> uncheck Automatically Restart.

3. gmanwill

gmanwill Thread Starter

Hi triple6,thanks for your quick reply,

I have already ran spyware,adware and a/v checks and they all came up clean,he is d/loading memtest as we speak (as long as it doesn't crash ) if it does i will d/load it to my comp. to make the floppy,i will let you know the results when we are finished running memtest.

thanks, gmanwill

P.s. got any white stuff in your neck of the woods, we are still clean here in Alberta

4. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Yeah, there's about 5 cm on the ground already. Bad weather for the past week; snow, winds, and it was suppose to rain today but nothing so far.

5. gmanwill

gmanwill Thread Starter

Hi again everyone,
    Triple6, ran memtest as you suggested and i think i have found the problem.
    To start with, I found that the 2 sticks of ram did not match ( i thought they did in this comp. but obviously i was mistaken) both are 512gb. pc3200 but one is single sided and one is double sided and i had them in the slots to run as dual channel which just wont happen.

O.K. now, there are three slots on my mobo. so to run memtest i started with the double sided stick, minimum 5 passes in each slot no errors at all in any slot.

I then went with the single sided stick,minimum 5 passes no errors at all in the first 2 slots, then in the third slot (which happens to be the one for going dual channel) it shut down at 65% of test 5 on the very first pass and the same on another 3 tries.
    So obviously the ram is no good for dual channel.
    Then out of curiosity i tried both sticks at once in single channel mode and the comp. has not crashed yet.
    Hope this makes some sense to you and thank you for your time.

P.s. Will be getting a matched pair pretty quick.
    P.p.s. Hope the white stuff isn't keeping you cooped up, we are still clear at the moment but as you well know it is only a matter of time, again thank you.

gmanwill

6. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Well it would seem the two sticks don't play well together for Dual Channel. I wouldn't bother getting a Dual Channel memory kit though. The AMD XP's, unlike Pentium 4's and AMD 64's, don't benefit much from Dual Channel - it's like 5- 10% gain over single channel.

Snow's all gone now, its been raining 2 days straight now and its suppose to keep on raining. On the plus side its nice and warm :)

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/420321

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice