1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Comp. won't recognize USB card reader

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by baileycorra, May 8, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. baileycorra

baileycorra Thread Starter

Hi, I just got a USB 2.0 card reader for Secure Digital/MMC cards to read my digital camera card, but when I plug it into USB my computer won't recognize it. It doesn't show up in Windows Explorer. I tried installing new hardware, but there's no installation disk or drivers (or instructions) with it. I have Win98SE - could this be the problem - that maybe it only works with XP? If it needs a driver, is there anyway I can get one online? If anyone can offer any suggestions or help, that would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

2. UNR3ALXV

UNR3ALXV

The product probably requires a better operating system than the one you currently have, try surfing the net for drivers which match your hardware.

3. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

W98SE requires drivers for USB mass storage. You might try the manufacturer's website, sometimes they expect you to download the drivers. However, it's also possible they don't have any drivers for this model for older Windows versions.

4. baileycorra

Thanks UNR3ALXV for your reply. I'll try to search for a driver online and see what I come up with.

5. baileycorra

Thanks JohnWill, I found it on the manufacturer's website, downloaded it and now it works! Thanks again for pointing me in the right direction! :)

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/571188