1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Comp Won't Turn On, but MB light is on...

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by sarahndipity, Sep 19, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. sarahndipity

sarahndipity Thread Starter

This morning my computer auto-shutoff (before I woke up). When I went to turn it on, the box light and fans blinked on for less than a second and then nothing. I opened it up, it's clean (dusted it with air about two weeks ago), all lines look and feel to be securely in place, and the motherboard light is on, which I think rules out the power supply. So what is wrong with my system?

System Specs:
    • Power Supply: 470W Thermaltake (Silent Power Edition)
    • Processor: Intel Core 2 Duo E6600 2.4GHz (1066MHz Front Side Bus) (4MB Cache) (Conroe)
    • MotherBoard: Asus P5N-SLI (Chipset: nForce 570 Intel) (SLI Compatible) (Conroe)
    • Memory: 2GB DDR2 Super Talent at 800MHz (High Performance)
    • Hard Drive: 80GB Western Digital (8MB Cache) (7200 RPM) (SATA)
    • Video Card: nVidia GeForce 7600GT 256MB (By: XFX) (PCI-Express)
    • Cooling: Air Cooling (Certified Digital Storm Heat-sink and Fan) (Stage 1 Cooling)

I do plan on calling Digital Storm Tech Support this morning, but since they're a west coast company I have to impatiently wait for them to open at 9am. Depending on the problem, they may not be able to fix it either, so I come to you guys.

Thank you, in advance, for any light you can give to this problem.

2. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Actually the power supply is the very first thing I would be suspecting. Power supplies can and do fail partially all the time. Second thing would be the power switch on the front of the computer, if its broken it it may not allow the computer to turn on or to stay on. You can flip the power and reset wires going to the motherboard and see if using the reset switch will allow you to turn on the computer.

3. sarahndipity

Thank you for the quick response. I am not sure how to move the wires so the reset button acts like the power button. Hopefully, it is as simple as a broken button. I don't want to have to buy a new power supply, right now. :)

4. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Well if the system is under warranty then you shouldn't have to buy anything.

5. sarahndipity

After talking with Tech Support, and testing some things, we removed the video card completely and the computer turned on fine, minus the three beeps of it telling me it had no vid card. So it appears the vid card is fried. And unfortunately, Digital Storm no longer carries the 7600s, and so I can't just replace or upgrade... I think I'll look into their upgrade system a little more, because it doesn't make sense that they'd not allow me to get the upgrade price, just because they don't carry the old model anymore.

Thank you for taking the time for me.

6. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Why wouldn't they let you upgrade to a better card? That doesn't make sense.

7. sarahndipity

The tech guy was misinformed, talked to a sales rep and they said that I could get an upgrade discount. But upon some window shopping and comparing, I went with NewEgg, bought an Asus 9800GT and a new Power Supply too.

8. Jordster

Jordster

I put an 8400GS in my 550W Power supply and it blew it, just to let you know.
    Got a 625W, now its all fine.

Maybe get better wattage?

9. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Well that works too, the 9800GT is miles ahead of the 7600GS in performance. Hopefully you order a good quality of at least 500 watts or higher.

10. sarahndipity

11. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Good choice on the PSU. Should be a nice upgrade in gaming performance.

12. sarahndipity

That's the hope. My gaming needs aren't much, just WoW and occasionally Sims2 right now, but I like having room to grow. My old XFX 7800GT that I got with my DSO machine fell 4 months short of its two year mark. The hope is that this Asus card lasts me at least two years. :)

13. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/751370

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice