1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Compaq cq57 won't pass POST

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by metallica5456, Feb 16, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. metallica5456

metallica5456 Trusted Advisor Thread Starter

First Name:
    Andrew
    So a friend brought me their laptop a Compaq cq57 and you press power button, fan kicks on, then caps lock starting flashing and the WiFi light stays orange and the fan stops, all while maintaining a pitch black screen. I removed battery held power waited 30 seconds and then put battery back in and still same issue. So what's the deal? Most anytime I have had blinking caps lock its either meet bad CPU or motherboard.......any ideas group?

2. Sponsor

3. CoolBurn

CoolBurn

Faulty memory module or dimm maybe.
    Try different configurations with the ram. Helps to have two modules though.

4. trogdo

trogdo

Have you tried the ol' "pull the battery and power then hold the power switch pressed for a minute" trick?

5. metallica5456

First Name:
    Andrew
    Yes I'll try the ram suggestion....

Yes the battery trick was first thing I tried

6. trogdo

trogdo

Have you tried the CMOS battery or the main battery? I was suggesting the main battery, but now I'm thinking resetting BIOS settings wouldn't hurt. You can either load defaults on startup by holding the insert key when pressing power, or remove the CMOS battery for a couple minutes.

7. metallica5456

First Name:
    Andrew
    I was feeling a little under the weather lately but I had only done main battery just didn't feel like accessing the bios battery yet.....when exactly would I press the insert key?

8. trogdo

trogdo

Either press it just before you press the power switch or start mashing it the instant you turn it on. Don't hold your breath, a little bit of reading suggests that this feature may have been fazed out over the last few years, so you might have to resort to pulling the CMOS battery.

9. metallica5456

First Name:
    Andrew
    Pulled the ram module completely out and same scenario.....correct me if I'm wrong but when u pull the ram and boot without any installed shouldn't u get a different set of boot problems?? Could it be bbad board?

10. trogdo

trogdo

With no RAM present your computer will not boot but will display a series of flashes and/or sound a sequence of bleeps which will match a code provided by your computer's manufacturer. If it doesn't, it might be a damaged motherboard.

Earlier on you said that the Caps Lock light flashes, is there a pattern to it?

11. metallica5456

First Name:
    Andrew
    Yes it makes no change with or without the ram in the machine. The caps lock light just steadily blinks every 3 seconds on the dot.

12. trogdo

trogdo

Your initial diagnosis is probably on the money - bad CPU or motherboard.

13. metallica5456

First Name:
    Andrew
    Thats what I'm figuring however the person who owns it still wants me to rip into it and try removing the CMOS to see if it'll help

14. metallica5456

First Name:
    Andrew
    told client my diag was bad board/cpu. so they let me have the laptop for parts....so worked out well for me in the end. thx for everyones help here

15. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1143213

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice