1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Compaq CQ61 - no power

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by ksk, Aug 29, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. ksk

ksk Thread Starter

Working one day ... may have overheated (sons laptop) and next day - no power

AC charging light is solid white but battery doesnt seem to hold a charge after trying it in another computer.

Power button does nothing, no light reaction, no sounds, no fans, nothing.

Ive tried a hard reset ... no results

Cmos battery?

2. SUEOHIO

SUEOHIO

First Name:
    SUE
    If it overheated its a power supply problem of some sort or a bad fan or maybe something else got damaged like the board.a bad cmos battery doesnt usually cause that kind of chaos.if that battery is bad the time on the computer wont stay corrected.or you might notice that the computer runs slower than normal.

3. ksk

ksk Thread Starter

Thanks. Any ideas on how to check for power supply problems or is it just a matter of opening the case, getting down to the mother board and looking at all the diodes and AC port connection, etc?

4. Megabite

Megabite

See if you can try another PowerSupply and see what the results are.

5. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

It's a laptop, so you can't swap out the power supply. How did you try the laptop battery "in another computer"? It would only fit in another laptop of an identical make and model.

There's probably some hardware damage, but if it's out of warranty, it will cost more to fix than it's worth.

6. ksk

ksk Thread Starter

Thanks. Ive tried other AC cords to no avail. Battery in, battery out also ... even another fully charged matching battery from his brothers laptop.... sadly, nothing. I get no reaction, not a single blip of activity when pushing the power button. Grrr.

7. ksk

ksk Thread Starter

I have another CQ61 bought at the same time for my other son so I have been trying to swap batteries, charging one in the other, switching AC cords, etc.... darn thing just died - cold.

I do know that the dead computers battery is shot because it will not hold or take a charge in the other brothers good computer ...

8. Megabite

Megabite

Could be more serious than a power problem...if the PC got really hot

9. SUEOHIO

SUEOHIO

First Name:
    SUE
    I think more than likely the board got damaged or fried. i dont think its a power supply problem anymore if what you have tried didnt work.

10. ksk

ksk Thread Starter

any way of checking it out myself or should I just send it in to be evaluated?

11. SUEOHIO

SUEOHIO

First Name:
    SUE
    I think an opinion from a qualified repair place might be the answer and then you can make an informed decision on what to do and know what the problem is once and for all. if its not under any warranty it might cost more to fix it than what its worth.

12. ksk

ksk Thread Starter

Thanks for taking the time and advice. It is appreciated.

13. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1014941

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice