1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: compaq dc7100 help

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by col, Aug 17, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. col

col Thread Starter

hope this is not a dumb request,i have just purchased a refurbished pc its a hp compaq
    dc7100 ssf 3gig with winxppro and 1gig ram.and no floppy disc.no restore disc and no restore partition.plus restore disc is no longer avaliable from hp.also i have searched hp ,google to no avail.i have read somewhere that some pc's dont require the boot sequence to be changed to boot the operating system.i was wondering if someone could tell me if this pc needs the boot sequenced changed to boot from cd or not.tia.colin.

2. Sponsor

3. dustyjay

dustyjay

First Name:
    Jay
    you should go into bios and set your boot sequence accordingly. Otherwise it may be set to boot from HDD first in which case it would not boot from a CD.

4. col

col Thread Starter

dustyjay,thank for your reply.i understand what you said. i have heard that some pc's dont require the boot sequence changed, i was just wondering if this pc was one of them. also if you do change boot sequene too boot from cd to first do you have to go back and change it to boot from hard drive first after say you did a reformat on pc..tia.colin.

5. dustyjay

dustyjay

First Name:
    Jay
    No you can leave se to Boot From CD first. It wont affect the normal boot if you do not have a bootable CD or DVD in the drive. It will first check for bootable media in the cd then it will continue on to boot from the next boot source in your boot sequence which should be your hard drive.

6. JSanguancheu

JSanguancheu

Did you say the HDD is only 3Gb? or is that a typo?
    I don't think that would be big enough for a Windows XP install.

7. dustyjay

dustyjay

First Name:
    Jay
    According to what I have found on the HP/Compaq site this computer was available with a 40Gb, 80Gb, or 120Gb hard drive. And it was all Sata hard drives.

8. col

col Thread Starter

j sanguancheu,yes it wrong its a 40gig sata drive ,colin.

9. col

col Thread Starter

dustyjay, thanks again for all your help on this post....col.

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/741066

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice