1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Compaq Evo N600c Battery Removal & Computer Check Up.

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by muckmail, Jun 26, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. muckmail

muckmail Thread Starter

I bought a Compaq Evo N600c that works will on AC but has but can't remember cmos
    settings at start up so I use f1 to start XP. I may need a new battery but I have not let
    it charge up enough to really tell at this time.
    Since is a unkknown used machine, what do I need to do to check it out. I need to check its battery for corrison in which I don't know how to get to it. I may need to replace a CMOs battery. Is there a manual that I can download and do you have any advice for my compter checkup?
    Thank You,

2. jack-o-bytes

jack-o-bytes

3. jack-o-bytes

jack-o-bytes

4. daniel_b2380

daniel_b2380

start HERE:
    http://www.google.com/

in the search window - type:
    Compaq Evo Notebook N600c
    -OR-
    compaq evo n600c drivers

click: 'enter'

GOOGLE is your friend :)

Compaq Evo Notebook N600c -[general specs]
    http://h18000.www1.hp.com/products/quickspecs/10886_div/10886_div.HTML
    QuickSpecs

Download drivers and software
    http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsuppor...kId=135&prodTypeId=321957&prodSeriesId=316673

download 'em - then 'burn' 'em to a cd for backup - 'cause if you needed 'em once, you WILL need 'em again :)

5. muckmail

muckmail Thread Starter

I think the battery is bad because it only works on AC outlet. Is there a good place
    to find a battery and can I use it without a good battery?
    Thank you,

6. daniel_b2380

daniel_b2380

if it isn't remembering the cmos settings, that would be the cmos battery - NOT the battery that it runs on when you have it 'un-plugged from the wall'

you will need to download the manual that jack-o-bytes found for you - download it and look through the specs in the manual to find WHERE it is located and WHAT part of the cover you will need to remove to replace the battery

such as this battery here:
    Sanyo CR2016 = Compaq Part # 152605-003
    http://www.smallbattery.company.org.uk/sbc_cr2016-wr.htm

7. dustyjay

dustyjay Jay

The CMOS Battery is also on this model called the RTC Battery. It is located under the Memory Expansion Bay Cover. It is a CR1220 battery. And Keyboard removal is required according to the manual.

8. dustyjay

dustyjay Jay

RTC Battery replacement is found on page 5-19 of the Maintenance and Service manual.

9. muckmail

muckmail Thread Starter

The operation charge-up battery starting working so that is a good thing. I am going
    to let it charge overnight. I still have to look at the startup cmos issure. Maybe it needs
    a cmos battery?
    Thank you,

10. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

Unless buying a new(er) laptop is completely out of the question and you need the portability, I wouldn't waste money on a replacement battery. The computer just isn't worth it.

11. daniel_b2380

daniel_b2380

muckmail, are you reading the responses to your questions?

12. daniel_b2380

daniel_b2380

two different batteries we are speaking of here - i agree with you on the OPERATIONAL / WORKING battery - but if all muckmail is doing is replacing the cmos battery, that shouldn't be such an expensive issue :)

13. muckmail

muckmail Thread Starter

Well, Seems like the replacement battery is Not Charging up so the unit is good
    for AC only. The Replacement battery is expensive so I will not put that much
    in it. Probably use it with AC only unless I run across a good deal for that type
    of battery.

14. dustyjay

dustyjay Jay

15. dustyjay

dustyjay Jay

The CMOS Battery should only be about $3 to $6 and may be available at Radio shack or even possibly Walmart.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/838424