1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

[SOLVED] compaq hard drive

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by pob, Jan 3, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. pob

pob Thread Starter

i would like to install a new and bigger hard drive in my compaq presario 5bw120. my old hd is acting up so i bought a 40gb of the same brand only to find out i can't use the quickrestore cd that came with my compaq. what i need to know is what is the best way to setup this new hd without using the QR cd. can i copy my old hd to the new one? what program would i need? i am a little lost now and any advise would be helpful. thanks.

2. LadyLisa

LadyLisa

I think Norton Ghost is a very good program for doing that. Check it out. The one tha came with compaq may only be a restore for that HD and not a copy program.

3. deuce

deuce

To use the restore cd you must have all orignial components and nothing new...including the HD... or else the cd thinks it isn't the computer it was meant for and you are being fraudulant. :rolleyes: There should have been some sort of imaging software in the box for the HD. If not, you should be able to download it off their website. If you can't find the software for your manufacture, you can copy everything in dos, but not windows since you can't copy files in use.

4. pob

pob Thread Starter

thanks for the ideas, there is more to this than meets the eye. if i put the new hd in as a slave and copy the old hd onto it, can i then remove the old hd and use only the new dirve? will the quickrestore cd on it if i needed in the future? or would i have to reinstall the old hd and do all over again?

5. deuce

deuce

If something happens to your new HD and you lose your data... you will need the old HD. My advice is to keep it anyway, even if you aren't going to use it in your computer. It's kinda like an old but paid-off car. It's best to hang on to it in case anything happens. If you have a burner you might as well back everything up so you essentially have made a new quick restore cd. If the old HD images seccussfully onto the new HD, then you can jumper the new HD back to the master and use solely on your computer. Don't reformat your old HD (if you plan to do so) until you are sure everything copied ok and you don't need the data. Older compaqs use a hidden diagnostic/boot partition which can sometimes not copy correctly. Older Fujitsus will not let you copy the hidden compaq diagnostic/boot partition, but report a successful copy. If you don't have a burner then you will definately want to keep your old HD. You can either leave it as is and re-image if you need to later, but you will at least have the old HD to use the quick restore and then image back on to the new HD. If you don't want to mess with jumpers then you can take out your cd-rom (don't put it back in until you are don if you go this route) and put the new HD on the secondary IDE as a master, as it sould have shipped that way. If you put it as a slave you need to jumper it as a slave and set appropriate settings in your bios if necessary.

6. pob

pob Thread Starter

thanks for all the help. i'am in business now i downloaded drive2drive off zdnet and it worked great! all i had to do is copy the old hd and pull it out and put the new one in as the master. i will keep the old hd just in case but, i like the sound of burning a backup. it will give me an excuse to buy a cd burner and pull out the rest of my hair putting it in. thanks again.:)

7. deuce

deuce

Well, great to hear you got it working. :) If you plan to get a burner to burn yourself some sort of back up, as Lisa mentioned earlier Ghost is a program you can do it with. Hope you had a good weekend and good luck to you in all your future computing needs. :)

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/64092

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice