Solved: Compaq Presario 2700 (2715US) SICK!!!

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

hunny

Hi and thanks in advance for any assistance! My hubby is trying to fix an older laptop. It is a Compaq Presario 2700. It belongs to a buddy and had been working fine. Booted it up a couple weeks ago and got the error message "no operating system found". He brought it to my husband who is a little bit computer savy but so far hasn't had much luck. We blogged it (the error) and read post after post about them heating up and the screws or mounts breaking and about the screw kits. However, the CPU and heatsink were attached fine. The laptop doesn't shut down like it might if it were hot or overheating. We purchased a CPU (just incase) and installed it.. but still nothing so we bought another hard drive. The same error continues to come up. He's checked and rechecked the Bios (the only thing he can get into) and the hard drive is found as is the CD or DVD rom. He's tried formatting and booting from CD but nothing. He's hoping not to have to try a new motherboard... it's getting to be an expensive paperweight. Does anyone have any suggestions or ideas? Is it possible that we should have changed the heatsink? it appears to be fine. Any ideas?

Well, first of all, if he can get into the BIOS, then he's already proved that the motherboard is at least functional, to a degree. The BIOS report will say whether the processor is functional and such, so if that's showing, so far so good.

Normally, 'No OS Found' means a dead Hard Drive. A way to check, which may sound odd at first, is to see if you have an old Norton or McAfee Anti-Virus disk. A little known fact about these disks is that they are also capable of booting a computer so you can check on the health of the hard drive in good old DOS mode. See if you can get up to the DOS prompt, then type in C: - if you change directories, this should be the hard drive. At this point, type in DIR and see if it finds any directories. If nothing happens, then I'd say its time to look at a new hard drive.

A-N

hunny

Thanks so much for the Norton/Mcafee idea. Never would have known that. He installed a new hard drive which he tested on another laptop and it works fine. We doubled checked the model and ordered the identical one that was in originally in the Compaq so we know it's compatible. The new hard drive definitely works. Will try the McAfee CD tomorrow and post back. Thanks again for your help and ideas! Diane PS. It definitely boots into the bios without hesitation.

hunny

Thanks again A-R for the suggestions. We tried the McAfee idea but it's a CD and after re-reading your post it sounds to me like you might mean a floppy disk? If so, it doesn't have a floppy drive in it - used to, but it's been taken out. If that isn't what you meant, using the CD didn't work. Nothing more than "no operating system found". Again, it's a new hard drive that is recognized as soon as we hook it to another computer so we know it works. Can he format it in another computer and then hook it up to the laptop or does XP grumble about that? Am I even making sense? Any other help would be appreciated. Thanks again, Diane

I meant CD - you need to switch the boot up in the BIOS so that the computer boots to the CD.

A-N

Humm... odd...

Well, I'll tell you, I once forced a format and system loading into a hard drive for another laptop by swapping my hard drive in my Gateway Solo 1400. I left it at the most basic of settings, so that XP did not add anything that wouldn't work in the other laptop. When I put the drive into that one, it booted up without a hitch, save having to manually add all model-specific drivers.

A-N

hunny

and then today after 50.000 tries, it just worked. He formatted it and gave it back, really fast!

Thanks so much A-R for your help, ideas AND patience! Who knew!?

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online