1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Compaq Presario 6300us Recovery Issues

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by rbltech, Jan 16, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. rbltech

rbltech Thread Starter

Does anyone know how to recover windows xp on a compaq persario? i asked compaq but they just give me hit f10 but on this pc it loads BIOS. any help would be appreciated.

2. Byteman

Byteman Gone but Never Forgotten

Hi, Here is the Compaq description: Your computer did come with Recovery CDs, though you might not have them...there is info in some of the links to try to obtain this Recovery Set.

Other info at this link:

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/...513&lc=en&cc=us&dlc=en&product=213890&lang=en

3. rbltech

rbltech Thread Starter

this particular compaq has a recovery partition, with no restore disks.

4. Byteman

Hi, See if anything in this list of things helps:

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/...dlc=en&product=213890&rule=45529&lang=en#N404

If nothing else works, and you find that you cannot run Recovery, then try this:

I've worked on several newer Compaq's that came with XP, and they did have Recovery CDs included... perhaps it is an option for some models? Owners often lose their disks and don't recall ever having any, or they get used computers and they are not given these disks...
    These support articles may be a bit out dated, things change and from model to model. One way to help is to contact HP directly-

5. Noyb

Noyb Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Jay
    If the Computer is still Bootable .. You must make (should have made) your own Recovery DVDs.
    Something like this ...

Attached Files:

6. RootbeaR

RootbeaR

I believe it is F10 on mine.
    Watch monitor for messages on boot.
    Mine is something like "F1 for boot options", "F2 for set-up", "F10 for recovery"

If that doesn't work, I believe you can get the option to recover by starting in safe mode. Start tapping "F8" immediately after seeing the Compaq splash screen.

7. rbltech

rbltech Thread Starter

OK The thing is that i cant get into windows and it has the recovery partition but i cannot get access to it. compaq gives me the same info over and over use f10 or recovery disks. but i dont have the freakin disks. this whole thing is getting old. i have a friend with a newer compaq desktop i am just going to use it. create recovery cd's and reinstall that way.

8. Byteman

That's why I have been posting HOW to get the Recovery disk set

They aren't that expensive. Have you tried seeing if any are available?

Post#4 in this thread- use the HP link, go to the section "Related Support" etc.

Using the disks will restore the computer to as it was from the factory, which means any user created files will have to be saved to other media before you run the recovery.

9. RootbeaR

RootbeaR

That's not likely to work.
    Enter your BIOS and set boot order to boot from your recovery partition.

10. Noyb

Noyb Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Jay
  11. rbltech

rbltech Thread Starter

ok just one question how do i boot from a certain partition when all bios shows is the main HDD. no partitions listed.

12. RootbeaR

RootbeaR

Sorry.
    Must have seen that option using the discs.
    HP only takes a couple of days to ship discs to you.

Or try this
    http://www.pclinuxos.com/index.php?option=com_ionfiles&Itemid=28

13. aj_uk86

aj_uk86

I seem to be having similiar problems with the F10 System Recovery. I went through the instructions and it says at the end "thank you! you have now completed your recovery" etc etc "please click finish". When you do press finish, all i get is a egg timer cursor and the same thank you message and i'm waiting for ages. It hasn't crashed because you can still use the num lock and caps lock. Ive left it over night but i'm worried that it may still show the same screen. What shall i do if it does? try the recovery again?

AJ x

14. Byteman

Hi, As long as you have a way to do the Recovery again, I think I would try restarting the machine....perhaps it is just stuck.

***Note- it might pay you to check on whether you have, or can get, the actual Recovery disk(s) in case the F10 method does not work...that is, if you are not using any disks.

You might also just have to enter the system setup or BIOS to check the settings for the date and time, and adjust them if they are not correct, then Save and Exit the BIOS as it says.

Let me know what happens.

If it won't start up, run the Recovery again I guess is all you can do. You should disconnect any peripherals during the Recovery....printers, extra drives, things like that.

15. RootbeaR

RootbeaR

Just rebooted and payed attention when it happened.

When the Compaq splash screen appears, press "Esc."

This gives you boot options and the recovery partition should be there.

@ 6GB, FAT32

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/672625

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice