1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Compaq Prosignia 300 Server

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by squall_01, Apr 27, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. squall_01

squall_01 Thread Starter

After ironing out all of the issues, which in general seemed that the floppy was bad to the configuration tool. I got it to be error free, thing is that I am attempting to boot from the CD drive which is a CR-503-B Model an it bypasses it an attempts to boot from a floppy. Also, I tried attaching a IDE Card with a Harddrive that has Windows XP installed to it. Too see if it wouldnt start up, which it doesnt. Also, have a cd drive attached to the IDE Card an its not booting to it ether. I tried to use F-disk an says that there isnt any drive attached.

2. Elvandil

Elvandil

Fdisk is far too old to see much on modern machines and useless.

XP will not boot from an external on a machine it was not installed on, and not at all unless the BIOS supports it.

What is the boot priority set at?

Are you sure the CD you are using is bootable?

3. squall_01

squall_01 Thread Starter

What maybe like if this was dual core or something? What? This isnt an external, Its attached useing an IDE card from a 486. I have it set to boot to the cd then C then A, Yeah.... I should ether see the press key to install xp or linux loading up which I dont see.

4. squall_01

squall_01 Thread Starter

This is a 586, I think. It's an Intel Pent Pro, with about 156 mb of RAM

5. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

The server pre-dates Windows XP by two operating systems. I don't see any way to get Windows XP installed on it. It's a server, not a desktop. It needs a server operating system (Windows NT 4.0) and probably drivers for that. This is just not a usable computer.

6. squall_01

squall_01 Thread Starter

Thing is that I dont really have anything to the unit ether, since it was made an configed to do one thing. Distribute music around the stations. I know that, I was looking around certain places an seen some had stuck 2k on there's. I imagen that its slow to boot which I dont expect other wise for the most part. I probably will end up useing dos till I am able to slap something else on there. Just wanted too see it boot from the HD is all at this point.

7. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

I'm not sure I know what "distribute music around the stations" means, but this is a very, very, very old computer. It doesn't have a fraction of the processing power of even a low end machine made today. I think you need to take a look at what the system requirements are for your project and then acquire the appropriate equipment. There's a big different between getting an old server to boot to DOS and using it for a specific purpose.

8. squall_01

squall_01 Thread Starter

It used to be a radio station music server. It most certainly is :) I have mostly everything except a harddrive installed, the drives that where in there an the documents too it as well as the software. I just want it to load an OS so that I can config it to how I want it.

9. squall_01

squall_01 Thread Starter

Thing is that I dont know the jumper settings to the cd drive or anything like that. So if someone knows or has it that would be helpful.

10. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Jumper settings are generally printed on a label on the drive and/or near the jumper pins.

11. squall_01

squall_01 Thread Starter

they are there an what not but things like terminator an id an what not is confusing.

12. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Oh, so its a SCSI drive. You'll have to find the documentation for the drive and SCSI card/controller then.

13. squall_01

squall_01 Thread Starter

I thought that you guys figured that it was? Its a SCSI 32 wide, I found where it mentions how to have it jumpered but it doesnt explain anything. The controller you mean the cable or the motherboard?

14. squall_01

squall_01 Thread Starter

I did try that card from the batman machine in this an it end's not being able to configure it any how

15. squall_01

squall_01 Thread Starter

Turns out that even more so that the config tool I used wasnt good or something. I downloaded one off there site an ran it. Well that was part of the issue I had with the video as well as it was able to config the cd drive correctly. Thing is that I am not able to run win 2k off the disk for some reason. I am useing the IDE card from the Gateway 2000 or 486 since I will probably have to order one for this machine.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/919594

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice