1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Compaq won''t start

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by ashyblue, Nov 7, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. ashyblue

ashyblue Thread Starter

My compaq is having problems starting up. It makes a repetitious sound like the hard drive is trying to start but can't and will continue to do so indefinately or until it boots. So I assumed it was a hdd issue, however trying the hd in another laptop worked fine and an alternate hd in my Compaq has the same problem. It does start up occasionally, although it usually freezes half way through booting up, but can occasionally work upto half an hour.

Could it be a power issue or something worse? Thanx

2. Elvandil

Elvandil

Could be a lot of things. Try setting the BIOS defaults (though Compaq ususlly gives you little control over that). Run memory tests if you can:

Microsoft Memory Test (floppy or CD ISO image)
    Memtest86

Try it with the battery out if it will run on straight AC.

Does it start better after sitting (and cooling) and have more problems the longer it is used?

Details would be nice. Make/model, OS, how long you've had it, any previous symptoms/problems.

3. ashyblue

ashyblue Thread Starter

It's a Compaq Presario v5000 (about 16 months old - buying the store display laptop got me a couple of hundreds off the price - so would be a bit older) and is running xp.

I don't use the battery as it freezes and can only be turned off by disconnecting the power.

It does seem to have more trouble starting up the longer it is turned on and is having more difficulty starting up the longer the problem has been happening. Generally when windows starts up if i move the mouse it freezes.

Possible issue: I have been harrased with virus attacks from certain individuals and a person sent me a link to a site which contained information that was of interest to me. The site caused ie to close and could only be opened with netscape so i saved the HTML and images for the entire site. The folder containing the site files when accessed would intermittently close all open programs although if I was quick I could use a file and close it before it froze. Also I couldn't use the disk cleanup any longer as it would freeze and close. So i had to somehow delete the offending file in the tempory internet folder and ended up moving the entire folder which meant I wasn't able to restore it or create a new one. Disc cleanup however worked after I did this. I'm not sure where the internet files were saved afterwards lol.

It wasn't long after this happened that the comp would not start properly. I didn't know that a website could cause such problems.

The site is yogarevealed.org although i'm not game to try it again. It belongs to a world-wide religious cult which has a penchant for recruiting and training it professionals who could have set me up as I am working on trying to expose them over the net.

Since the hard drive worked fine in another laptop I thought the problem was my laptop.
    Maybe the power supply. But as you are suggesting it could be something else.

I'm not overly concerned about not having the computer anymore as I have a newer model coming soon. But I have an entire website I created and other files and information that was collected over a twelve month period that I wish to get off the computer but am not sure how to go about it.

I've been looking at getting a USB 2.0 to adaptor to transfer the files from the hard drive but if I could fix the computer I would.

4. Elvandil

Elvandil

The fact that the drive works in another machine means there is something pretty serious wrong with your machine. As you know, you can't just open it up and try substituting parts in a laptop which is so easy to do with a desktop. There is really little you can do except to test the memory and the hard drive. Those are pretty much all that you have easy access to, and the problem could be all the way down to the board. So, if you can't resolve the problem by replacing memory (if it tests bad) or replacing the drive, you are stuck bringing it somewhere where they have the tools and expertise to tear it down further.

Did you try a memory test, or is that even not possible? You could at least look at the memory and be sure it is seated all the way into its slots. That would require the manual to show where it is.

5. ashyblue

ashyblue Thread Starter

Thanks for telling me my comps stuffed. JK. Well I can probably kiss it goodbye.

To check the memory it would need to start up and it hasn't today lol. $60 for usb adaptor sounds like my only option.

Thanks for the help. Great forum btw!

6. Elvandil

Elvandil

OK. But how do you plan to transfer the files if it won't boot? You need a running operating system for the USB drivers to be installed and to transfer the data.

Maybe I have it backward and you are using the USB adapter for the drive so you can move the data with another machine?

If the drive worked in another machine, why not use that for the data transfer?

Your machine may not be "stuffed", but it has a problem that we can't fix. It may be an easy matter for someone with the tools.

7. ashyblue

ashyblue Thread Starter

8. Elvandil

Elvandil

9. ashyblue

ashyblue Thread Starter

10. Elvandil

Elvandil

It died for me, too. I think we did it :D.

The prices were comparable, and I just pictured that adapter sitting in a drawer, unused, and it didn't make a lot of sense. Especially when I saw how much the adapter was.

Good luck.

11. ashyblue

ashyblue Thread Starter

Yeppers thanks, and again great forum!

12. Elvandil

Elvandil

You can mark your own threads "solved" using the Thread Tools above.

13. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/649182

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice