Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Solved: Compatible parts/best parts for own build?

2K views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  Tanis 
#1 ·
So I'm planning on building my new PC and have found a list of all of the parts that I would like to purchase. This will be my first build and wanted to check that A) all these parts are compatible and B) that these are the best parts I can get for the money.

To clarify I will be using the PC for mainly gaming and Photoshop/other design work. The prices below are the best prices I could find online too. (Budget is about £600)

Tower - Antec 900 Nine Hundred Ultimate Gamer Case - £82.99
Power Supply - Corsair 500 Watt CX500 V2 Builder Series 80 Plus Power Supply - £44.98
CPU - Intel Core i5 2500K - £166.97
Motherboard - ASRock Z68 Extreme3 - £100.00
RAM
- Patriot G Series ‘Sector 5’ Edition 4GB - £24.49
Graphics card - Sapphire RADEON HD 6850 - £118.40
Hard drive -
Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB - £61

Think this all I will need (apart from a disc drive) any other hidden costs/ parts that I am missing out too?

Thanks

See less See more
#2 ·
Have you taken into consideration an Operating System?

I would maybe push for a bigger Power Supply...

Have you shopped around for the cheapest prices?

I would regularly look at www.aria.co.uk

They have daily deals and super specials and if you catch a good one, it can save you a bundle.

#3 ·
Awesome thanks, that site seems to have some amazing prices on. Will have to look at what deals they have, is the spec I've got so far all compatible as that was my biggest worry. I think it is but just wanted to double check before I go and purchase any of it.

#4 ·
At a quick look it all looks ok, but I haven't got time at the minute to go through everything, sorry.

If you go to the ASrock website and find your motherboard and check the compatibility list for your memory.

Where did you find that Hard Drive for £61? That seems to be a very good deal considering the sharp rise in prices recently.

#7 ·
Personal I prefer Gigabyte or Asus boards, they tend to be better quality in my personal opinion. Perhaps something like this, which is also cheaper.

Whichever board you go for, go to the manufacturers website and buy RAM that is on the Memory Support List. This should ensure compatibility (its not always as simple as buying DDR3 at whatever rated speed). Buy getting some from the manufacturers list you have an extra level of support / comeback if you have a problem. I would be the fastest rated RAM that a) the board supports and b) you can afford.

Unless you particularly want the visual aspects of the Antec 900 case, maybe consider an Antec 300. It is a simple black case to look at but will save you money as they are cheaper, they are still a decent case.

To follow up from jamwaky, Aria is probably my main supplier of PC components now. Their prices are decent and they have a good stock. Just be aware of their P&P prices if you are only buying 1 or 2 items as it can be hefty on smaller orders. I also use www.ebuyer.com as a backup / price comparison.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.