1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Compatible USB Wireless Adapter for Windows 7?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by rydash, Nov 12, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. rydash

rydash Thread Starter

Recently, I've been attempting to use my NetGear WG111T adapter in order to connect to my wireless network. However, the software to install, even the most recent version, is not able to complete the necessary steps to establish connectivity. The provided "Smart Wizard" will load, and then disappear a second later. I am given no access to my network whatsoever.

I'm wondering if there's any way to fix this, or if there's a different adapter I could try? I've looked at the things regarding the WG111Tvx.inf file, but I am unable to locate it, and do not appear to have this file. The closest I have is WG111Tv.inf.

If one is able to provide me with this file, it would be most appreciated; failing that, I am open to suggestions for other USB adapter solutions.

2. GTechWiz

GTechWiz Banned

Try Calling The Manufacturer's Technical Support, people here are general techs, not software / hardware designers, sorry to be blunt, but it's true..

3. Hughv

Hughv

4. rydash

rydash Thread Starter

I appreciate the help. Sorry that my question was asking for so much. The problem just bugs the heck out of me. :p

EDIT: What may help is if any of you have Win7 and a USB Adapter, no matter what type; if you know it works, and can tell me the model of the adapter, I may know what to purchase dwon the road, if the manufacturer does not release updated software in a timely manner.

5. Frank4d

Frank4d Retired Trusted Advisor

Are you using driver version 1.2 or 2.1? The newer 2.1 supports Vista which should also work with Windows 7 (may need to run it in Vista compatibility mode). Version 1.2 driver might be iffy.

6. rydash

rydash Thread Starter

I'm trying to use 2.1, but I keep getting stopped after the "plug in the USB stick" part. No other window comes up.

Perhaps if I ran it in compatibility mode for Vista, along with the Smart Wizard...?

7. rydash

rydash Thread Starter

Disaster averted with Linksys WUSB54GSC. I had trouble with it at first, but it was actually too close to the computer to work. Moving it with the included cord fixed the issue. I appreciate your offered help, however, and hope that any further questions I may have may be handled so readily. :)

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/876861

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice