Solved: Complete System Restore

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

cooljc

Hi, I just wanted to know how to do a complete system restore on my computer. I have way too much junk on my laptop, and i just want to restore it to the factory settings and start from scratch. I have a Dell Inspiron 9300. Thanks

Dell typically gives the actual operating system CD's. If that's the case, boot with the CD and start the install. Early on you will be given the option to format the drive.

If you got a Restore CD, you then could boot with that CD and it will put the computer back to the way it came from the factory with all apps as well.

Do you have recovery CD's that came with the computer? How will you reinstall Windows if the drive is wiped clean?

Just trying to understand the full plan before you do anything drastic :D.

cooljc

It came with a Windows XP CD, but i'm not sure if i should re-install XP again or what. I don't see anything about a system restore on the CD anywhere.

It's like I suspected. Dell sends the actual XP CD. If you want to reformat, boot with the CD, format when requested and continue with the install. Of course any applications that were installed and all configurations would need to be done as well. Most times Dell includes these as well.

If you have a full version XP CD and the product code, boot from the CD. You only need to follow the prompts to format the drive and install a nice new copy of XP.

cooljc,

Now that you heard it for the 3rd time, hopefully you should be aware of what you need to do.

If the product key can't be found elsewhere, you can look on the computer case. Sometimes vendors put a sticker with it on the computer.

If not, you can always download Keyfinder from http://www.magicaljellybean.com/
And see what it is. Either way you are covered.

cooljc

Wow....umm....no idea what just happened to the computer....but everything i had on the desktop is completely gone...and it didn't restore it to factory settings....my anti-virus program, wireless card...and everything is gone...not really sure what to do now....HELP PLEASE!!

cooljc

AHHHH....i don't know what to do anymore....everything is completely gone!!!!....i'm really worried I might have done something I can't reverse now....is there anyone who can help me??!?

What did you do to get where you are?

Can you explain the steps that you followed?

cooljc

I used the Windows XP CD from Dell, went to install Windows XP, clicked new installation, rebooted the computer, and then followed all the steps necessary to reload Windows XP again...When all of it was finished, XP rebooted, and there was nothing left on my desktop but the recycle bin. I tried doing a system restore...but all my restore points are gone now.

That's exactly as it should be. You wanted to start fresh, so when you clicked "New Installation", you erased everything from the machine and installed a new version of XP. Everything is gone and it is restored to "factory settings". All your programs, antivirus, wireless card, and programs can now be installed.

Isn't that what you were trying to do? You said you wanted to "start from scratch".

If you have an "Applications" CD, now is the time to run that one.

"i just want to restore it to the factory settings and start from scratch."

Sounds like you are on you way.

Of course any applications that were installed and all configurations would need to be done as well. Most times Dell includes these as well.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!