1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Completely unable to access my laptop from my network

Discussion in 'Networking' started by PrivateDonut, Jul 10, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PrivateDonut

PrivateDonut Thread Starter

Before I get to the problem...both of these computers are on a wireless network connected to a D-Link WBR 2310 router. Both computers can connect to the internet without issue.

I'm having a major problem communicating with my laptop from my desktop. I used to be able to share files between the computers via a shared folder on either computer. Recently, I have not been able to see the laptop from the desktop or vice versa. When I try to ping the other laptop, it times out. Same story from the desktop.

Yesterday I dl'ed an ftp server and installed it on the laptop. Even with that running, I cannot connect to the laptop from my desktop (using SmartFTP). I had to dig out a wired switch and hook up both computers to it in order to share files between them (and while Im doing this neither can access the internet...for some reason Windows doesn't allow you to use two separate network adapters simultaneously?)

Anyway, this is really getting on my nerves. Every time I need to transfer files between the two machines (which is often) I have to get into the jungle of wires back there and plug it in, sacrificing my fan while the files transfer.

Any ideas?

TIA

2. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Failure to ping is almost always a firewall issue. You must have installed some firewall product, or reconfigured and existing one. You need to solve that issue first.

3. PrivateDonut

PrivateDonut Thread Starter

I disabled the firewalls on both computers (Both using Windows Firewall). I am now able to ping the desktop from the laptop, but still cannot see the laptop from the desktop.

Edit: Scratch that. As of the moment I posted, I seem to be able to ping the laptop again. Will I have to run both computers without a firewall now?

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/594255

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice