Solved: Compress 2GB JPEG File into 700MB CD?

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

chow2rich

How to compress a 2GB JPEG file into 700MB CD? I tried winzip, but that doesn't work good. What program can I use to compress that type of file? I'm trying to compress 2GB JPEG File Wedding Photos into a 700 MB CD.

JPG format files are already compressed, so no further compression is possible.

You would need to save each photo at a ruduced quality to make the files smaller to achieve what you want, the outcome may not be what you desire however.

JohnWill

Retired Moderator
A 2gig JPEG file? What are the dimensions of this monster? :eek:

JW, i beleive the OP has multiple files that the folder counts up as 2 gigs of data. another option is to possibly split up the photos until you can fit them on multiple cds. Or better yet, if you have a dvd burner can cram onto a dvd data disc.

JohnWill

Retired Moderator
That makes more sense. :D

I agree with the DVD or multiple CD's, it's a bad idea to reprocess these and reduce their resolution.

If he does cds i beleive he will need 3 if he fills the other 2 to their capacity but i know one dvd can hold all of those files with plenty of space left over.

Since JPG format does not compress, you could lower the compression factor to result in about 1/3 less data.

I would not do that with treasured pictures, as I would expect wedding photos to be. Either use multiple CDs, or one DVD to write the file(s) onto. You could even use a 2GB (or larger) flash-drive.

My guess if it is a 2 GB image that compressing it more would make it look bad and you still should always only do that on a copy and keep the orignal. So your still have the orignal 2 GB.
Now if you got photoshop and made a .psd file from the image it will still look good but the file will get bigger but it can also be compress with a zip program and that may work to getting the file size down.

chow2rich

I know what to do know. I'm going to put them all into one dvd. Because DVD capacity is 4GB, I believe. Dvd can store all that information I need. So I'm going to put them onto the DVD instead of CD-RW. Thanks for your help, all of you.

JohnWill

Retired Moderator
Yep, a DVD will easily hold all of them, and room for the reception pictures as well. :D

If your problem is solved, please mark this thread solved by going to thread tools>mark solved>then click perform action.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online